Anannya_19's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

A Complete Guide to Traveling with Pets on Indian Railways

Traveling with your beloved pet on Indian Railways can be a fulfilling and enjoyable experience. To ensure a smooth journey for both you and your furry companion, it's essential to understand the guidelines, procedures, and considerations involved.

Picture from GooglePicture from Google

Understanding Indian Railways' Pet Travel Policies

Before planning your journey, familiarize yourself with Indian Railways' pet travel policies. Currently, small pets (dogs, cats, and birds) are permitted to travel with passengers on trains, subject to certain conditions and guidelines.

Indian Railways is one of the best modes of transportation to carry your cat for longer distances, across cities or states. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 5.48.50 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 5.49.00 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 5.48.48 PM.jpeg

Travel with their pets by following these simple steps – 

1. When traveling with pets on Indian Railways, booking an entire coupe (two or four berths) in AC First Class or First Class compartments is required.

2. Get a copy of your confirmed tickets, your pet health certificate, fitness certificate, and write an application to the Chief Reservation Officer of the station from which you will be boarding the train. Please mention all information age of the pet, how many people travelling, and your contact number.

3. Get the fitness certificate of your pet from the vet 24 to 48 hours before the start of the journey. Make sure you carry their vaccination cards, too. Contact your veterinary doctor for that. 

4. You will get a confirmation message about four hours before the departure time. This is a confirmation message for your coupe too. 

5. After you get the confirmation of the same, you need to reach the station at least two to three hours before departure. Go to the Parcel Office and show them your tickets, along with your pet’s vaccination cards and fitness certificate. They give you your pet travel ticket. 

6. Kindly remember to carry your pet's basket, and belt, and ensure that your pet is securely placed in a pet bag or basket during that time.

Please take note of the long halt stations and take the opportunity to allow your pet a walk during these breaks. Pets may experience stress while traveling, affecting their eating and drinking habits. Ensure to carry your pet's favorite blanket, dry food, chew sticks, bones, and their favorite toys to keep them engaged and entertained during the journey.

If you found this article helpful or enjoyable, please take a moment to let me know in the comment section below. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Abanerjee
Pune, Maharashtra, India
12 comments
Level 8

Re: A Complete Guide to Traveling with Pets on Indian Railways

Very unique topic and very informative too for pet lovers. I have got good new information from your post. Travelling by train with pet is now made easy through your post. Thanks @Anannya_19  for sharing this nice tips with us. 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

Clever. 

What a topic! Unique one. A perfect guide. Thank you for sharing @Anannya_19 

Abhishek Patki
Level 7

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm thrilled you found the topic unique and the guide helpful. Your appreciation means a lot. @abhishekpatk 

Abanerjee
Level 7

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! I'm delighted to hear that you found the information helpful and informative, especially for pet lovers. Making train travel with pets easier was my goal, and I'm glad these tips served that purpose. @Rohan10 

Abanerjee
Level 8

Excelente tuturial muy bueno para que las mascotas viaje cómodamente, muchas gracias por la información, saludos desde Colombia...

Level 7

@Carlos23- Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful for ensuring comfortable pet travel. Greetings back to you from across the globe

Abanerjee
Connect Moderator

A truly unique and immensely helpful post 👍 @Anannya_19 

I remember 30 years ago people did not hesitate to carry goats on railways, though that was cattle and not pets.
This was done over short distances, and I am not sure how strict they are now.
Also, nice to see that Indian railways have a neat and formal policy for pets.

It would be interesting to know @SilvyC 's experience and thoughts on this.
Level 9

This is a very unique post, @Anannya_19 . I had never thought that the Indian Railways had policies on pets. Though I know about the airlines, this is new information for me.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Level 7

Thank you for sharing your interesting observation! It's intriguing how transportation norms have evolved. The introduction of formal regulations by Indian Railways for pets demonstrates an increased awareness and consideration for the needs of pet owners, ensuring a smoother and more comfortable journey for both pets and their companions. This evolution in transport practices highlights a commendable effort towards accommodating the changing dynamics of travel while upholding safety and convenience for everyone involved. @Tushar_Suradkar 

Abanerjee