doc_dells's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Accessible road features: Tactile Pavement and Pedestrian Walk in Indonesia

As part of One Accessibility advocacy, we share information about disability issues, inclusion, and or accessibility features on Maps. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Hello everyone and welcome to this week’s Accessibility Uncovered post!

The accessibility topic this month is about Accessible Road features in our areas. Last week @Globe_trotter_Ish  posted about “Accessible roadside pavement and pedestrian crossings in the UK’. This week I will focus on tactile pavement or guided blocks and pedestrian walks in Jakarta, Tangerang, and Depok Indonesia 🇮🇩.

Accessible sidewalk at Sudirman Jakarta, photo by doc_dellsAccessible sidewalk at Sudirman Jakarta, photo by doc_dells

Accessibility of public facilities is one of many aspects that can improve the welfare of people with disabilities. One of these is the provision is about tactile pavement or guided blocks in public facilities, including pedestrian walkways. This is a sign for people with disabilities, especially for people with the visually impaired. In Indonesia, it is regulated by Regulation No. 30 of 2006 of Minister Public Works about the technical guidelines for facilities and accessibility in buildings and its surrounding. This regulation is a continuation of previous regulation No. 43 of 1998 about the efforts to improve the welfare of persons with disabilities. These regulations have been in place for nearly 25 years, but not all implemented yet.  Let’s explore Jakarta, South Tangerang and Depok!

Some sidewalks Tangerang and Depok, photo by doc_dellsSome sidewalks Tangerang and Depok, photo by doc_dells

The starting point of big improvement of accessibility included roadside pavement and pedestrians in Jakarta since 2018, where Jakarta was the host of Asian Games and Asian Para Games. Check my previous post about  GBK Jakarta: An Accessibility Friendly Sports Complex. This international event was the eye-opener to do huge changes to develop Jakarta more accessible. Since then, more and more public facilities especially in big cities in Indonesia implemented this, although there are some gaps in the implementation. The most common issue in the roadside pavement, there are still many guided blocks that are cut off due to poles, trees, or street vendors 😅. Therefore, these are not yet fully friendly for blind people.

Guided  blocks dangerous ended  at Stadion Madya Jakarta, photo by doc_dellsGuided blocks dangerous ended at Stadion Madya Jakarta, photo by doc_dells

The other issue is that the wrong guided blocks were designed as the standard format as per national guidance Pedoman Fasilitas Pejalan Kaki or international Guidance like ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) 2010 ADA Standard you can read in my other post about this, when I participated on Inclusive walking tour November 2021. RECAP Indonesia Accessible 3.0 Virtual Meet-Up.

You can see sidewalk - pavement or guided blocks in some areas within Jakarta, Depok, and Tangerang. Of course, these are only limited reviews, there are many other road features across Indonesia that may and may not accessible yet.

I hope you liked reading about the accessible road features in Indonesia. Let's contribute by improving your review to include accessible features on the google maps. Thank you for reading!

doc_dells ❤️
Tangerang Local Guides
INDONESIA
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 comments
Level 9

Re: Accessible road features: Tactile Pavement and Pedestrian Walk in Indonesia

Very well written with nice images and description @doc_dells . Thanks for sharing this nice piece with us here. Stay safe.

Connect Moderator

Nicely written @doc_dells ! Loved the photos and details ! Thanks for sharing this interesting post with us !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

Wonderful post @doc_dells , I came to know about Tactile Tiles very first time when I visited Malaysia & Srilanka first time in March 2019.

And these tiles on the path way and in shopping centers insist me to think what's the purpose of these tiles here, than I searched and got that how much useful these tactile tiles are for the people who have different abilities like visual impairment.

Thanks for sharing such a great post doc.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge