Teana_K's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes

Has anyone been to see the Brighton Bathing Boxes at Brighton Beach, Port Phillip Bay, Australia? There are 82 distinctive bathing boxes. Sitting in a uniform row these proportioned wooden structures line the foreshore along Brighton Beach. 

The boxes were built well over a hundred years ago in response to Victorian ideas of correctness and seaside bathing etiquette. The bathing boxes remain almost unchanged. All  of them retain classic Victorian architectural features with timber framing, weatherboards and corrugated iron roofs. They have been customised with beautiful artworks and decor by their owners. Sometimes you will see them up for sale at around Aud $300k average. Theyre mostly owned by locals and are handy to store beach items (jet ski, chairs, umbrellas, etc) for a day at the beach.

I forgot my dlsr at home! ??‍♀️ These were taken with an Iphone 11 Pro and the aerial images with a DJI Mavic Platinum Pro drone. 

Photo 11-3-21, 11 48 36 am (1).jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 48 36 am (1).jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 51 38 am.jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 51 38 am.jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 33 52 am.jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 33 52 am.jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 49 31 am.jpgPhoto 11-3-21, 11 49 31 am.jpg

Kind Regards, Tee
Brighton VIC, Australia
15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes

I have seen them from afar @Teana_K I was very closed but did not know about it but I saw them from other side. I wrote in my Melbourne article here.

Level 10

Wow @Teana_K 😀
I love Australia and I visited back in 2009-2010.

Thanks for the explanation and the amazing photos.
These "Beach boxes" look so beautiful and so comfortable for locals to own!
I wish I could own something like this near the beach.
I love how you OZ people know how to live like Kings 🤠

Thanks for sharing this with us

Social-Instagram-Creative-Contributor-Joni-G   
Joni Gritzner from Israel 
Guiding Star for 2021
Follow me on my Google Maps page

Level 9

I see them in your very informative article, thank you for that @Sophia_Cambodia 

Kind Regards, Tee
Level 9

Thanks @JoniG I wish I had one, its a bit far from where I live and it can get so crowded. A popular spot! I went during the week when everyone was at school and work. 

Kind Regards, Tee
Connect Moderator

Level 6

Great pictures! 📷

Liliana Benassi
Level 9

@LilianaBenassi thank you! 🙂

Kind Regards, Tee
Connect Moderator

Great photos and explanation of the Brighton Beach Boxes @Teana_K.  They are a tourist attraction in Melbourne and I must add, similar in some respects to the famous "Deck of Cards" Houses in Cobh, Ireland.  To show the size of these boxes relative to the nearby houses I once took this photo.

Caption: Brighton Beach Boxes against the backdrop of Brighton Houses (LG: @AdamGT)Caption: Brighton Beach Boxes against the backdrop of Brighton Houses (LG: @AdamGT)

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Teana_K,

Thanks for these beautiful photos from Brighton beach, it looks like a very cool tourist attraction that's worth a visit!

I recently purchased a Mavic too and I can't wait to try it. 🙂 If you want to read and see something about this topic, I suggest this interesting post: Photography with drones - adding your own unique perspectives.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!