Ivi_Ge's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Challenge: Share a museum photo on Google Maps to earn a Connect badge

Caption: A photo inside the Hintze Hall of the Natural History Museum in London, showing a blue whale skeleton suspended in the air and visitors walking around. (Local Guide Amiran Bokhua)Caption: A photo inside the Hintze Hall of the Natural History Museum in London, showing a blue whale skeleton suspended in the air and visitors walking around. (Local Guide Amiran Bokhua)

Update June 1, 7 a.m. UTC: Hi everyone, this challenge is now closed. Thank you for your participation! We will go through all the amazing submissions and share the results soons. 

There was a question about how we will assess submissions with more than one photo. Please rest assured that all entries will be considered equally. We will look at the helpfulness, quality, and originality of your stories and photos. Thank you for helping others discover great museums and galleries to visit on Google Maps while taking part in this challenge!

Local Guides, what was the last museum you visited? What did you see?

The world celebrated International Museum Day on May 18. Inspired by this great holiday and your love for museums and art exhibitions (we love them, too!), we’re excited to kick off a new community challenge on Connect! 

The challenge 

To take part, all you need to do is:

• Upload a photo from a recent museum or gallery visit on Google Maps
  • Share a link to your photo on Google Maps and the photo itself in the comments below
  • Tell us why your photo is helpful or what you like about it
  • Even better if you also share a link to your review of the place!

You can participate with photos you shared on Maps this year.

The winners

Ten of the best entries will be highlighted in a new post on Connect. 

The criteria

We will consider helpfulness, quality, and originality. This means that your photo should be sharp, not blurry, dark, or tilted. It should be taken by you, not from the internet. Read our Community policy and the Maps user-generated content policy for more guidelines.

We will also take into account the community’s response, so if you see a photo you like shared by another Local Guide, give it a like by clicking on the “heart” button.

The prize

For the first time ever, we will award challenge winners with a brand new, exclusive Connect badge!

Caption: An illustration of the new badge for Connect challenge winners.Caption: An illustration of the new badge for Connect challenge winners.

Join this challenge by May 31. Share your Google Maps photo in the comments below for a chance to win a new Connect badge!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

174 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Challenge: Share a museum photo on Google Maps to earn a Connect badge

A new activity 👍🏻😍🙏

I almost never visits museums even though I worked at a science museum for 5 years!  Does commercial art galleries qualify for this challenge, @Ivi_Ge

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 7

@Ivi_Ge That's one of my favorite topic. Surely, we will find some great museums all around the world in the comment thread. 

Now I'll tell you about one of the most unique museums I visited on my recent trip to Roing, Arunachal Pradesh. I was completely unfamiliar with the name of this museum before visiting. The name of the museum is RIWATCH. You may use Google Maps to get directions by clicking here.

IMG20230328145923.jpg

The RIWATCH Museum: An overview

RIWATCH is an acronym for the Research Institute of World's Ancient Traditions Cultures and Heritage. It's a non-profit research and community-based organisation that shows cultural empowerment of ethnic communities is essential for long-term prosperity. It has a very unique appearance both in terms of its design and how it is presented. The museum houses numerous unique and rarely-seen artifacts.

So, what makes this museum unique?

RIWATCH is a "People's Museum" in the truest definition of the term. The fact that the majority of the museum's artifacts have been donated by locals for free is something I haven't seen anywhere else. The Dalai Lama himself had donated some precious pieces to the museum. The museum also features an extensive collection of historical weapons, including tools made of stone that are 80 years old and an earthenware pot that dates back nearly 200 years. Surely, it hopes to be one of the places where our ancient history, culture, science, and technology are preserved for future generations.

IMG20230328144626.jpg

You can check my review by clicking the link

@DeniGu thank you for your guidance. 

I'd like to submit the two photographs that were already addressed in the comment.

Why do I want to nominate the first photo?

The museum's entrance is depicted in the first image. From the outside, it appears to be pretty basic. Once inside the gate, though, we were awestruck by what we found in their collections.

Why do I want to nominate the second photo?

The second picture is from the museum's interior. Two people from the Mishmi tribe are depicted in this statue. The figurine's detailing astounded me. Everything from their eyes to their wrinkles to the feel of their muscles is full of life. There's no way to tell if this is natural or not.

Sourav Ghosh (Bongyatri)
Google Moderator

Hey @MortenCopenhagen, photos of galleries are certainly welcome! Side note: working at a museum sounds reeeally awesome.

Hi @Bongyatri, thank you for your entry introducing this unique museum! Which of the two photos are you nominating for this challenge and why? You can edit your comment to add this information by clicking on the three dots -> Edit reply. 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Wow @Ivi_Ge 

Nice to have new activity like this to rekindle our interests as local guides. Thank you for the initiative,I like it. Am a lover of Museums and historical places in general.

20211202_110301.jpg

I have visited a few museums in my own country and even other countries I've visited. Seeing you said recent, those wouldn't qualify for an entry,or would it? 

For instance I wrote on post on Exploring-Ibibo-National-Museum-Uyo that was my last and most recent visit to a museum. It's situated in the South South of Nigeria.  I wrote a very elaborate Reveiw on it. I loved the location and very Serene environment it's located. The very nice and descriptive images in the museum. My review of the place says it all. Does this qualify or do I have to visit a new one.?  Please kindly let me know.

Anyway this is a very busy period for me and it's not much time for new visit.

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

The Biennale Of Children's Art is a very small Children's museum. It was opened, or rather reopened, just two weeks ago. I was at the opening, and I had the opportunity to speak with the director of the museum, a retired teacher who wanted to dedicate her experience to create a unique thing, dedicated to Art created by children together with teachers.

Currently the place has only two reviews . Mine is unfortunately hidden. "Proprio ieri sono stato alla riapertura della Biennale, nella sede di Villa Guidini. Un progetto fantastico, con un enorme lavoro dietro, per presentare i lavori dei bambini e delle scuole. Un luogo in cui l'Arte con la A maiuscola la fa da padrona. È stato piacevole passare qualche minuto con la ideatrice del progetto. Assolutamente da visitare. Bravi." Form Submitted

Here is the link to one of my (fortunately visible) photos

The museum will be the subject on one of the next adventures of Flat Stanley.

Connect Moderator

Oooops !!! my good friend flat Stanley participating here again 😅. I wish he could win the badge. At least he is better than the AI. We love him !!!

Now @ErmesT that's a very good photo and visit. It's looks interesting and cool. Were there any kids visiting around when you visited? Good luck. 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 8

@Ivi_Ge y @DeniGu desde Buenos Aires me sumo al Challenge

Les presento el Museo Fernández Blanco-Palacio Noel.

Leyenda. Foto sacada del interior del palacio, muestra de vitrinas llenas de plata y techo ambientado en pinturas de época de  colonización españolaLeyenda. Foto sacada del interior del palacio, muestra de vitrinas llenas de plata y techo ambientado en pinturas de época de colonización española

Este lugar tiene la característica de mostrarnos una historia importante del Virreynato del Río de la Plata. 

Cuenta con muestras de plata,vajillas de época y un jardín andaluz escondido en su interior que es maravilloso para ir a visitarlo. 

Además mí Reseña . También realizamos un meetup con la comunidad argentina y fue muy interesante visitarlo.

Influencia Hispanoamericana en Argentina 

Connect Moderator

Thank you for the challenge @Ivi_Ge - a great opportunity for museum enthusiasts.

Here's the link to the Museum on Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/PZV2g4xyfqPwqoJN8

Tushar_Suradkar_1-1684580324612.png

A link to the above photo: https://goo.gl/maps/3NtJ6asgT6MDnqFi7

1. The special feature that I liked about this place is the innovative and artistic arrangement of dreaded objects like weapons that makes the exhibits very interesting.

2. Also, this museum is accessible for wheelchairs and those who are hearing-impaired by way of personalized audio systems.

Here's a collage from the weapons museum in Bikaner Fort in Rajasthan.

Medival era weapons arranged decoratively  in the Bikaner Fort Museum in RajasthanMedival era weapons arranged decoratively in the Bikaner Fort Museum in Rajasthan

Regards,

Tushar

Connect Moderator

Wow...! worked at a science museum .. and for 5 years.

I must say the more I come to know about you @MortenCopenhagen the more I am amazed, not counting your brilliant photography and store front tips among the other expertise.

How is life working at a science museum...? that would be interesting to know though this discussion thread may not be the best place for it 😊