NandKK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Exploring the Unique Charm of Airports in India : My In-Depth Airport Diaries

Greetings Local Guides around the Globe,

This post is a narrative woven from my numerous visits at India's airports. While my adventures have largely been confined within the country's borders, as international travel has not yet graced my itinerary, I remain hopeful that such opportunities are just on the horizon.

Accompanying this write-up is a visual treat - a screenshot from my Google Map Timeline, showcasing the breadth of my airport visits.

Screenshot taken from a smartphone of Google Map Timeline showing the airports visited by a Level 10 local guide @NandKKScreenshot taken from a smartphone of Google Map Timeline showing the airports visited by a Level 10 local guide @NandKK

To date, my footsteps have echoed through the halls of approximately 18 airports across India, a blend of both international and domestic terminals. Below, you'll find a curated list of these airports, categorized first by international and then by domestic.

1. Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi (DEL)

2. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai (BOM)

3. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata, West Bengal (CCU)

4. Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru, Karnataka (BLR)

5. Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad, Telangana (HYD)

6. Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, Guwahati (GAU)

7. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad (AMD)

8. Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh (VNS)

9. Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (LKO)

10. Sheikh Ul Alam International Airport, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir (SXJ)

11. Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar, Odisha (BBI)

(Domestic Airports)

12. Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi (IXR)

13. Aurangabad Airport (IXU)

14. Jay Prakash Narayan Airport, Patna (PAT)

15. Raja Bhoj Airport, Bhopal (BHO)

16. Prayagraj Airport, Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh (IXD)

17. Gorakhpur Airport, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh (GOP)

18. Jammu Airport, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir (IXJ) 

In most of these airports, I would like highlight majorly about the implementation of the 'DigiYatra' initiative. This cutting-edge technology, introduced by India's Ministry of Aviation, offers a seamless, paperless experience through facial and retina scanning at checkpoints, simplifying the travel process remarkably.

While each airport presents its own charm, steeped in local art and scenic beauty, two stand out as the epitome of architectural and cultural splendor: Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) and Terminal 2 of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai (BOM). BLR, often referred to as a tropical sanctuary, features a "Terminal in a Garden" concept. Its lotus-inspired design and lush greenery provide a tranquil respite from the hustle of travel. The airport also excels in sustainability with natural lighting, rainwater harvesting, and energy-efficient technology.

outside structural view of BLR airportoutside structural view of BLR airportoutside structural view of BLR airportoutside structural view of BLR airport

outside structural view of BOM airportoutside structural view of BOM airport

Mumbai's Terminal 2 is a canvas of Indian artistry, adorned with an extensive collection of native artwork. Its unique roof design bathes the interior in natural light, creating an inviting, open space. Both airports offer world-class lounges, diverse dining options, and vibrant entertainment zones.

inside view of BOMinside view of BOM        a statue at BOMa statue at BOMTerminal photo of BOMTerminal photo of BOM

flight information board at BLRflight information board at BLRChristmas decoration at BLRChristmas decoration at BLR

Notably, BLR has been honored with the "World Special Prize for an Interior 2023" at the UNESCO Prix Versailles, a testament to its exceptional design and ambiance. A visit to these airports is not just about travel; it's an immersive experience that lingers in one's memory, a true reflection of India's progress and cultural richness. Unfortunately, currently I don't have the photographs of indoor garden inside BLR.

art gallery at BOMart gallery at BOMImage of beautiful ceiling design of BOM airport alongwith a daughter of LG NandKKImage of beautiful ceiling design of BOM airport alongwith a daughter of LG NandKK

Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), Delhi: I've had the pleasure of visiting this bustling hub more than 15 times. As India's busiest airport, it boasts three terminals, with Terminal 3 being one of the largest in the world. This architectural marvel blends Indian cultural motifs with modern design, offering an array of state-of-the-art facilities. From an extensive range of shopping and dining options to its convenient location serving the National Capital Region – encompassing Delhi, Gurugram, Noida, Faridabad, and Meerut – IGIA stands as a testament to India's growing global presence and urban development.

Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad: This airport is a beacon of sustainability and green initiatives. Its elegant design and commitment to environmental stewardship have earned it accolades for both efficiency and high service standards. It's a shining example of how airports can operate sustainably without compromising on quality and passenger comfort.

inside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYD showing the board of telangana tourisminside view of HYD showing the board of telangana tourism

inside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYDinside view of HYD
Kolkata Airport: A testament to Bengali artistry, this airport beautifully integrates elements of local culture. Its spacious and efficient layout ensures a smooth transition for travelers, making it a delightful entry point to Eastern India.

Ahmedabad Airport : Echoing the vibrant spirit of Gujarat, this airport impresses with its navigational ease and swift services. It's adorned with local artwork and cultural motifs, providing a colorful glimpse into the region's heritage.

inside view of AMDinside view of AMD

Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, Guwahati: As the primary airport for India's northeastern states, this facility stands amidst Assam's verdant landscape and near the majestic Brahmaputra river. It's not just an airport; it's a window to the rich cultural tapestry of the Northeast.

chandelier light at an Guuwahati airportchandelier light at an Guuwahati airportchandelier light at an Guuwahati airport1chandelier light at an Guuwahati airport1Statues erected at Guwahati airportStatues erected at Guwahati airport

Srinagar International Airport, Srinagar: Nestled in the Kashmir Valley and framed by the Himalayas, this airport offers breathtaking views and a peek into local traditions. Its heightened security measures reflect the area's sensitive nature, ensuring safe passage in a stunning setting.

outside view of srinagar airportoutside view of srinagar airport

Bhubaneswar Airport: This airport is a celebration of Odisha's cultural heritage, showcasing local art and architectural motifs. It serves as a beautiful prelude to the state's rich history, including the famed Puri pilgrimage and other tourist attractions.
few design of masks of hindu dieties at the bhubaneswar airport premisesfew design of masks of hindu dieties at the bhubaneswar airport premises     A model of aircradt established outside bhubaneswar airportA model of aircradt established outside bhubaneswar airport

Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Varanasi: Situated in one of the world's oldest cities, this airport is the gateway to Varanasi's spiritual and historical wonders. It perfectly blends modern facilities with traditional design, mirroring the city's profound legacy.
A signboard  in the premises of varanasi airport showing welcome to varanasi messageA signboard in the premises of varanasi airport showing welcome to varanasi message

Aurangabad Airport: Serving as the entry point to the historic city of Aurangabad, this airport offers convenient access to the renowned Ajanta and Ellora caves.

Statues of buddha and Hindu God inside the premises of aurangabad airport replicating the statues at Ajanta & Ellora cavesStatues of buddha and Hindu God inside the premises of aurangabad airport replicating the statues at Ajanta & Ellora caves

Statues of buddha and Hindu God replicating the statues at Ajanta & Ellora cavesStatues of buddha and Hindu God replicating the statues at Ajanta & Ellora caves

a painting of buddha replicating the buddha painting at Ajanta & Ellora cavesa painting of buddha replicating the buddha painting at Ajanta & Ellora caves

a statue of buddha  situated inside the premises of aurangabad airport replicating the the buddha statue at Ajanta & Ellora cavesa statue of buddha situated inside the premises of aurangabad airport replicating the the buddha statue at Ajanta & Ellora caves

Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi: Its in my hometown, named after the legendary tribal leader Birsa Munda, this bustling airport is a vital hub in Jharkhand, reflecting the region's growth and prominence.

outside view of ranchi airportoutside view of ranchi airporttribal arts depicted inside the premises of ranchi airporttribal arts depicted inside the premises of ranchi airporttribal arts depicted at Ranchi airporttribal arts depicted at Ranchi airport

A statue of  freedom fighter Gandhiji inside the premises of Ranchi Airport giving message to use indegenous Khaadi clothesA statue of freedom fighter Gandhiji inside the premises of Ranchi Airport giving message to use indegenous Khaadi clothes

Jay Prakash Narayan Airport, Patna: In Bihar's capital, this compact airport navigates urban constraints to efficiently manage a high passenger volume. I personally has experienced that its runway strip is shorter in comparison with others, making the rough landing always, specially during odd weathers.

A statue of Gautam Buddha at Patna AirportA statue of Gautam Buddha at Patna Airport

terminal View of Patna airportterminal View of Patna airport

Inside the Airport premises, this is the statue of its namesake, Jayaprakash Narayan, paying tribute to the Indian independence leader and social reformer.Inside the Airport premises, this is the statue of its namesake, Jayaprakash Narayan, paying tribute to the Indian independence leader and social reformer.

Prayagraj Airport: Located near the sacred confluence of three rivers in Prayagraj, this airport is a key stop for pilgrims and tourists visiting this ancient city, offering both convenience and a touch of spiritual ambiance.

View of Holy Ganges after takeoff from Prayagraj AIrportView of Holy Ganges after takeoff from Prayagraj AIrport

Inside decorated view of Prayagraj Airport with a big size banner of indian freedom fighter Chandrashekhar AzadInside decorated view of Prayagraj Airport with a big size banner of indian freedom fighter Chandrashekhar Azad

A unique design at Prayagraj airportA unique design at Prayagraj airport 

Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport, Lucknow: Blending Lucknow's traditional elegance with modern amenities, this airport, named after a former Prime Minister, stands out for its efficient service and strategic location in Uttar Pradesh's capital.

A local guide @NandKK taking selfie before a standing flight at Lucknow AirportA local guide @NandKK taking selfie before a standing flight at Lucknow Airport

Mahayogi Gorakhnath Airport, Gorakhpur: This compact yet significant airport in Uttar Pradesh balances civil and defense operations, ensuring tight security and smooth functioning for its travelers.

Jammu Airport: This one is also a high-security airport, it serves as an essential transit point for pilgrims to the Vaishno Devi Temple and tourists venturing into the Himalayas, offering both safety and scenic beauty.

Raja Bhoj Airport, Bhopal: Reflecting Bhopal's unique blend of history and modernity, this airport, named after the famed King Bhoj, stands as a symbol of the city's rich cultural and historical heritage.

Statue of Gautam Buddha inside the premises of Bhopal AirportStatue of Gautam Buddha inside the premises of Bhopal Airport

View of Private Vehicle stand at the entrance of Bhopal AirportView of Private Vehicle stand at the entrance of Bhopal Airport

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
29 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Exploring the Unique Charm of Airports in India : My In-Depth Airport Diaries

Wow! All airports look so amazing from your lens @NandKK 👍

Especially Aurangabad airport looks so much improved from 20 years back when I used it last in 2004.

Aurangabad is my hometown, but never returned there since 2004.

Check out my airport diaries:

Level 10

Re: Exploring the Unique Charm of Airports in India : My In-Depth Airport Diaries

Great to know about your hometown in Aurangabad @Tushar_Suradkar 

Yes, Aurangabad Airport has really improved last year because of G20 Summit. I have been there 4-5 times. Post covid many foreign tourists are coming to Aurangabad. 

Level 9

Betreff: Exploring the Unique Charm of Airports in India : My In-Depth Airport Diaries

@NandKK 

Das ist ein gigantischer Bericht, die Bilder zeigen interessante Architektur und andere schöne Details 

Level 10

Betreff: Exploring the Unique Charm of Airports in India : My In-Depth Airport Diaries

@Annaelisa 

Danke für Ihre netten Worte.

Ich freue mich sehr über Ihre wertvolle Meinung zu meinem Beitrag. Sie sollten Ihre Geschichten auch zusammen mit schönen Fotos teilen.

Wie viele Flughäfen haben Sie bisher besucht?

Die Community würde gerne von Ihren Erfahrungen hören.

Level 9

@NandKK 

Ich bin keine gute Erzählerin dafür schätze ich die schönen Geschichten anderer sehr 

Level 10

@Annaelisa 

Das ist sehr nett von dir. 

Auch wenn Sie vielleicht kein guter Geschichtenerzähler sind, können Sie Ihre Geschichte immer mit den schönen Fotos erzählen, die Sie gemacht haben.

Connect Moderator

Greatly appreciate you last comment about telling stories through photographs @NandKK 👍

I love this style of storytelling and practice it all the time on LG Connect.

With that, I'd suggest your post and change the topic to 'Photography'.

Level 10

Thank You @Tushar_Suradkar  for your kind words. 😊

Being a moderator, you can better decide, under which TOPIC, this post will be more suitable. Whether Local Stories OR Travel OR Photography, and you can change the TOPIC accordingly in the best interest of this post. Your suggestion is really appreciated. 

Level 10

As I have posted after an ages, I would love your feedback and opinion on this post.

Also I would like to know how many airports have you visited so far ? 

@TravellerG @StephenAbraham @Shrut19 @Sagir @Jesi