ogewuru's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Grinding: Then and Now

*picture of a Stone Grinder, Pestle & Mortar anf Blender*picture of a Stone Grinder, Pestle & Mortar anf Blender

Grinding or blending has always been a part of our cooking process, not only that it makes our culinary ingredients like pepper, Cray fish etc. mix well and bring out a smooth fine taste, it also gives the food a good and appealing appearance. Environmental provisions made it possible for early men to fall back on the use of stone as a means of grinding their spices and other food items. Called the Stone Age when stone was practically used for everything: building, fire sparks, farm implements, etc. As the idea of tools began to emerge, the need for a better way of grinding arose hence, mortar and pestle technology came forth. We then came to the reality of using mortar for pounding and grinding which was an improvement from grinding stone. As technology shook hands with electronics the concept of Blender came to be, where human energy was no longer an input to achieve a fine blend of cooking items needed to prepare meals. Volume, speed, and fine output became effortlessly possible.

Ilorin, Nigeria
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Grinding: Then and Now

Completely agree @ogewuru and wonderful picture 👍

At one point, we used all three modes and the difference in taste was noticeable.

Unfortunately, we not only have the Pestle and the Motor Grinder.

There was this last shop near my home for decades that sold hand-chiseled stone grinders, but I noticed they closed shop earlier this year.

That could well be the end of an era.

Level 10

I wonder how I was able to witness all eras and even concurrently. There’s also the plastic blender with metal blades. 
Thanks for sharing @ogewuru 

Level 10

@Tushar_Suradkar 

Times changes l remember in my days in the village using mortar to blender tomatoes

Level 10

@MrFreez That is the power of "it can get better" attitude. Did ever use mortar and pestle to blend tomatoes ?

Level 6

Pareil, chez nous aussi on a connu ça. Le goût était meilleur avec l'ancien broyeur 🥰

Level 10

@MS-Djib 

Ha ha ha really taste better with old grinding methods ? It is possible nature has its own flavour

Level 10

Yes I did and still use those small ones @ogewuru 

I have even used those grinding stones long long ago in my late grandma’s house, while on a visit 

Level 10

@MrFreez that is to say that  you are a combo of ancient and modern