ogewuru's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Groundnuts: More than just a peanut

picture of groundnut fruits, oil, cake and butterpicture of groundnut fruits, oil, cake and butter“Just a peanut”? not for our homegrown groundnuts otherwise called peanuts. In Nigeria, the Groundnut pyramid was part and parcel of our agricultural landmark because, after harvesting them in large quantities they are bagged and piled up in pyramid shapes for export. If you look at our #200 currency, you will see the pyramid as a reminder that this is part of our heritage as a people.

ogewuru_0-1698917075575.png

picture of 200 Naira Nigerian currency with a groundnut pyramid in the background

Here, groundnut is not just a peanut, we make cooking oil from it. As a matter of fact, groundnut oil is a generic name for any cooking oil commonly used in food processing. But beyond cooking oil, we produce groundnut cake called kwili-kwili in our local parlance. Groundnut soup is equally made from it in addition to peanut butter that we use in serving Kola or eating garden egg. Besides boiling fresh groundnuts with salt and eating them as a snack, we also fry them dry and package them as takeaway snack packs. Groundnut drink called Kunu-gyeda is a classic fluid we relish with joy because of the rich nutrients it contains making it a whole meal. Balakwabo is yet another brand of cake derived from this precious legume grown mainly in the Northern part of Nigeria. According to Daniel Zhigila over ten dishes made from peanuts include: groundnut oil, kulili, yaji, sisi pelebe, donkwa, kunu geda, chin-chin, groundnut soup, roasted groundnut, cooked or boiled groundnut. The uses and preparations of these food items vary from one part of Nigeria to another. Thus, the importance of groundnut in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized. So when next you come to Nigeria note that groundnut is more than “just a peanut”

Abuja, Nigeria
10 comments
Level 8

Re: Groundnuts: More than just a peanut

Informative post @ogewuru 

I didn't know about it. Peanuts are available in our country. I love to eat peanuts. Thanks for sharing this post.

Level 10

@Tandrima2  thats good but apart from eating the roasted peanut are there other ways you make dishes from it ?

Level 10

Great expository here my friend @ogewuru 

I have had probably all of the edibles you mentioned here in this post. 😆 

perhaps the most unfortunate part of Nigeria’s history is that agriculture has far taken a back seat in contributing to the Nation’s GDP and the Groundnut pyramid is one of those we hope to be restored. 

It would have been great to share some more pictures of these delicacies in this post as well. 

Thanks for sharing and happy guiding 

Level 10

@MrFreez you are right Sir, I will bring in more pictures next time to further drive home the points

Level 8

We Indians eat peanuts with various dishes. We eat with peanuts along with various vegetable curries. However those who love to eat peanuts, eat with peanut in their favourite foods @ogewuru 

Level 10

@Tandrima2 can you see, different strokes for different folks In our clime peanut is a utility nut

Level 8

Great post i love peanut Thank you @ogewuru 

Mohammad Palash, Bangladesh Local Guide

Read my recents Post Here

Level 8

You are absolutely right @ogewuru 

Level 10

@MohammadPalash  Thank you so much glad to know that I have a fan in you