Gurukrishnapriya's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

HAPPY NEW YEAR-UGADI AND PUTHAANDU CELEBRATIONS

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Does it sounds different. Yes in many parts of India, it's the new year celebrated now.

IMG-20210419-WA0015.jpg

Above is collage of pictures of New Year specialities taken by me this year. 

In South India, in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, the new year is celebrated as Ugadi, which is based on Lunar calender, the next day after new moon day. This comes in the months of March/April of every year.   In Tamil Nadu and Kerala the New Year is observed as Puthaandu and Vishu respectively. This festival falls on 14th of April every year.

UGADI CELEBRATION 

This festival is celebrated in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. On that day everyone take head bath, wear new clothes, and pray to God to bless with good health and prosperity. That day they prepare a feast, adorn their house with mango and neem leaves flowers and offer prayers to God.

Those who celebrate UGADI prepare a soup with combinations of bitter and sweet taste. This is made by mixing neem flowers, jaggery water, tamarind paste, cucumber, tender mango and dry fruits. This mixture is very rich in medicinal property.

IMG-20210416-WA0026.jpg

Spiced raw mango, coocked dal, neem flowers bitter-sweet soup, gooseberry paste, rice with ghee.

PUTHAANDU CELEBRATIONS 

The same way people of Tamil Nadu  celebrate PUTHAANDU. They will prepare raw mango pachadi (dip) which contains 6 flavors. This again has the medicinal value. The raw mango will boost the immunity and save us from sun strokes in the following summer.

The consumption of sweet-sour that day is an indication that we should face and tackle all the ups and downs in life with courage and confidence.

The young will seek the blessings of the elders. Everyone exchange their wishes and greetings with family and friends. 

IMG-20210419-WA0023.jpg

The above is the sample of Puthaandu greetings. (In Tamil language it's 'INIYA TAMIL PUTHAANDU NALVAAZHTHUGAL' (Nalvalthugal))

Indian festivals mainly emphasize on using seasonal fruits and food which safeguards and boosts health and immunity.

VISHU CELEBRATIONS 

@TravellerG Sir has given a detailed description about the celebrations with regard to Vishu in his post about One Nation many Celebrations  

IMG-20210419-WA0025.jpg

Picture by TravellerG during the festival this year. 

In other parts of India the New Year is observed as Cheti Chand, Gudi Padwa, Baisaki, Vasant Navratri and celebrated with great pomp and valour.

All the Indian states have something in common to celebrate this NEW YEAR. One can feel the unity in diversity.

I request the readers to tell a few words of how your New Year is celebrated traditionally. 

Passionate about
#Temple Art & Architecture
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
39 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR-UGADI AND PUTHAANDU CELEBRATIONS

Happy New year @Gurukrishnapriya ma'am.

Thanks for sharing this celebration pictures with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Thanks @NareshDarji bhai. I am happy that you liked my photographs.  Though I am still learning how to take good pictures. 

Passionate about
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Level 10

Thank you so much for such a beautiful, simple explanation of Ugadi & Puthandu

"...Those who celebrate UGADI prepare a soup with combinations of bitter and sweet taste..."  - what si the name of the dish? dear @Gurukrishnapriya,

Can you add the pronunciation of the Tamil Greeting in English, please? - will be more interesting.

I also thank you for LINKING my Vishu post to your main post.

Most sincerely,

Hello @Dr_AlwyPaul@deepakjhic @RtnArulPrakasamT @JohnPeter @jagatji @SathyaLG @Gilluu @Harsha_Reddy 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 6

Thanks for letting us know about the medicinal values behind simple things @Gurukrishnapriya  

The traditional pictures have brought in good memories .

Every new year brings us Hope and Inspiration to pursue our goals.

Happy Ugadi and Puthaandu : )

Thanks for the mention @TravellerG sir

Level 9

Woww. Happy new year, ma.

May you always be happy.  @Gurukrishnapriya 

Level 8

Thanks for your motivation and feedback @TravellerG . Also I am thankful for the tags. 

I have given the English version in the picture itself Sir. There are two names for the soup, in Kannda it's Bevuu and in Telugu it's Ugadi pachadi 

Thanks @SathyaLG for remembering the tradition of celebrating New Year. My idea to share this we should take forward our tradition. 

Thanks again. 

Passionate about
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Level 8

Thanks dear @Ewaade_3A 

Every day I pray to God to give all of us health, wealth and happiness. The whole world must be happy. 

Passionate about
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Connect Moderator

Happy New Year- Ugadi & Puthaandu to you and your family @Gurukrishnapriya , and to all who are celebrating.😍 I m always a big fan of South Indian festivals and food. Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos, it made me more desperate to visit South India one day InshaAllah and taste every food which you guys shared and enjoy any festival during my stay there.

Shukriya 🙏 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 7

This is something new to me and glad i could understand deeper through your post. I almost stopped reading my books and tend to read more connect post of different topics which is interesting. Thank you @Gurukrishnapriya Ma’am for this informative post. 
about the new yr date is fixed each year or is it based on luner calendar?

Throw kindness around like confetti's