NandKK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How to Address the Issue of Fake Defamatory Reviews on Google Business Pages

Hello to all,

In recent times, a concerning trend has emerged on Google Business pages, particularly visible on Google Maps. During my work, I have experienced the issues with respect to defamatory posts in google business pages, notably in the healthcare sector and also in other sectors.

This situation is particularly prevalent and damaging the Google Business Pages. Many business pages are receiving blatantly false one-star reviews from individuals who have never utilized their services (never been their customers). These deceitful reviews are not only defamatory but also mislead potential customers and unjustly tarnish the reputation of these establishments.

Also, in few cases I have seen FAKE Reviews appear to be primarily posted by ex-employees or their acquaintances, seemingly with the intent to damage the reputation of these businesses.

Business owners, in response, have attempted to address these reviews directly, yet find themselves at a loss as these reviews often remain undeleted. This issue is compounded by the anonymity of the internet; in many cases, business owners are unable to identify the reviewers or ascertain their locations, rendering legal recourse an unviable option.

On behalf of the local guide community, I am compelled to bring this issue to the attention of the moderators. We are seeking guidance on how to effectively combat such fraudulent activities. Although there is an option to report these reviews, it has been observed that this solution does not consistently yield results. We are in dire need of more reliable and effective mechanisms to preserve the integrity of reviews and protect businesses from such unwarranted defamation. 

@DeniGu @Julie_A 

@MortenCopenhagen 

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to Address the Issue of Fake Defamatory Reviews on Google Business Pages

I agree, @NandKK 

There is a need for effective tools to deal with spammy and fake reviews. 

Cheers 

Morten

Level 10

Re: How to Address the Issue of Fake Defamatory Reviews on Google Business Pages

Tagging my fellow Local Guides and Connect Moderators for a solution to my query 

@NareshDarji @TravellerG @AmbrishVarshney 

Level 10

Yes, as rightly mentioned by our @MortenCopenhagen Ji, not only this issue, there at least 2 more prominent issues prevailing and though there are millions of users/LGs complaining, no result has come out till now.

1. Your complaint of defamatory reviews.

2. There are many "No Review" accounts that look like created by sex-workers, requesting followers - of course, we do immediately report the same... But, still the accounts are remaining as it is - very unfortunate.

3. IMPORTANT:

THIS third type has more connections with your complaint:

There are organised campaigns to lure LGs with handsome, monetary compensation for review - they even offer Rs. 3,000 per day (10 reviews of Rs. 300 each per day!!!) - there are many offers it seems... These LGs have to write and give rating as per the agent! These LGs are most dangerous according to me - no ethics or moral responsibility - many have different accounts and play with it seems...

Solution:

If regionally trusted LGs are given this responsibility to report and take immediate action, DIFFERENT SPAMS can be brought down - practically, looking at the quantum of spam in India alone, Google Maps may need a few hundred staff to clear it, which will again come up. 

I just wanted to write about this in detail - thanks for opening the topic.

Hello, dear @DeniGu, could you spare a few minutes to glance at these aspects, please.

Regards 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Dear Sir @TravellerG 

You're absolutely right. I've encountered similar instances on Instagram and other social media platforms where people offer compensation for Google Maps reviews. In my opinion, a potential solution could be to restrict review submissions until a user's Google Map timeline displays their presence (within the radius of 100 meters) at the business location. This measure could help minimize the occurrence of fake and spammy reviews. Just a suggestion from my side.  

Further, I endorse your proposed solution; entrusting regionally trusted LGs with the responsibility to report so that they can take immediate action which will effectively reduce various types of spam.

I hope these burning issues will be soon discussed by our beloved Google Moderators. @Ivi_Ge @AngieYC