JustJake's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

I'm Seeing Stars ⭐!

Caption: A curious Star has appeared over PhoenixCaption: A curious Star has appeared over Phoenix

I noticed today that there are star icons that have replaced the city names of Scottsdale, Arizona (USA) and Phoenix, Arizona. Phoenix is above, here's the Scottsdale icon:

Caption: A star icon replacing the city name of Scottsdale, ArizonaCaption: A star icon replacing the city name of Scottsdale, Arizona

Before the big brains pounce on me for naïveté (@MortenCopenhagen & @JanVanHaver), yes - this is the same icon for the 'Starred Places' that you find under lists. HOWEVER, I have those hidden from my map. For the uninitiated, here's what a normal 'Starred Place' looks like:

Caption: An example of an intentionally saved location under 'Starred Places'Caption: An example of an intentionally saved location under 'Starred Places'

What's odd now, is that this isn't every major city. Los Angeles is not a Star. Tucson, Arizona - which I frequent on a monthly basis - is not a Star. And when hovered over with the mouse, the normal Highlight pop-up shows:

Caption: Hovering over the star shows the City Highlight windowCaption: Hovering over the star shows the City Highlight window

My question to you, astute Local Guides (including the aforementioned Big Brains), is: What Gives? Could it be that our hometown & capital are now highlighted by this Star Icon? Do you see stars over your own home area? Have I just bumped my head?

JustJake TRAC Badge
Phoenix, AZ, USA
17 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: I'm Seeing Stars ⭐!

Hi @JustJake 

I was unable to find the LG stars on Google Maps for desktops. Maybe you could share dropped pins close to the ones you see. 

I believe you are aware that lists now can use self-chosen icons (even some that we upload ourselves) This might explain what you are seeing. 

Or could it be that places on your stared places are shown with this icon? If so, I think it should be fixed so it does not look like the LG-level badges. 

All the best

Morten

Level 10

It's a perplexing situation @MortenCopenhagen. The links in the post to Phoenix and Scottsdale are directly from the Stars themselves. 

My list of 'Starred Places' has only been used for travel and does not include any locations in Arizona. I've toggled the hide and unhide option to confirm that the intentionally starred locations are showing and disappearing.

For S&Gs HERE is a pin for a location right next to the star:

Screenshot 2023-12-08 183812.png

My Starred Places list is the oldest one I have. They are all places from a trip to Europe in 2016. 

One thing just came to mind. I have a family account, could I be seeing something saved by a member of my Google Family? I can find no reference to it, or a toggle switch (like on the calendar) to turn the view on or off.

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

@JustJake 

Thanks for the dropped pin. I don't see the LG star as shown here:

1000015483.png

I'm not familiar with family accounts.. Maybe. 

Could you test this by logging in using another account on the same device?

Is it consistent across platforms?

Cheers

Morten 

Level 10

Well, @MortenCopenhagen, I've figured it out, but now I've got more questions.

When checking to see if the stars were showing on mobile, I went into my saved lists to make sure they were all hidden from the map, and I noticed a Following button on the bottom of the Saved Places screen.

1000002088.png

Opening that provided my answer!

1000002089.png

But the question now is how did these get here, and where does the option to follow a location appear on the map? If I select any other cities, there's no Follow option. Even if I select Save while highlighting a City/Town, the Follow button isn't there. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

Got it. Happy to see that you are making progress on this. 

Stared places are marked with a star. Makes sense. But I still think the design should differ from that if the LG badge stars.

1000015484.png

This is what I see after adding a poi in Phoenix to my list of stared places.

It is not related to following. 

Just remove those two entries from your Stared list.

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

@JustJake 

1000015485.png

The following button is not related to your Stared lists only. 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 10

@MortenCopenhagen I understand that. It's just that the two mystery marked locations happen to be hiding under this Following button. I don't know anything about Following a location. 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

@JustJake 

A business can be followed. And you will see their updates. But I don't think you can follow an area. 

If you can not start following a new area this could just be an artifact not worth persuing. I think unfollow them will solve your issue. Maybe these got converted at some point in time 

Cheers

Morten

Connect Moderator

I can't see the star on the location shared by you, @JustJake , unless I add myself the coordinates in a list.

In Google Maps you can define the areas you are interested in, @MortenCopenhagen , but the areas you are following are not identified with a star in the map.

1000014018.png

The list of areas can be modified manually, adding or removing places, but it is also changed by Google Maps according to location, searches and contributions. Tokyo was added on my list when I started to search places for organising my trip.

When an area is in the list you are receiving notifications in the Updates section of the App