jakiripsc's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

International Mother Language Day

The day is celebrated all over Bangladesh, special celebration happened in central shahid minar.
UNESCO declared 21st February to be the International Mother Language day on November 1999.

IMG-20240220-WA0014.jpg

Picture: Shohid Minar(pencil drawing)

The declaration came up in tribute to the Language Movement, which was done by the Bangladeshis.
When Pakistan was created in 1947, it had two geographically separate parts like East Pakistan(Currently known as Bangladesh) and West Pakistan(currently known as Pakistan). Two parts were very different from each other in the sense of culture and language.

In 1948, the Government of Pakistan declared “Urdu” to be the sole National Language of Pakistan. That time East Pakistan people protested this order since the majority of the people was from East Pakistan and their mother language was Bangla. All the people of East Pakistan demanded Bangla to be at least one of the national languages, in addition of ‘Urdu’. First time it raised by Dhirendranath Datta from East Pakistan on 23rd February 1948 in the constituent Assembly of Pakistan. The students of the University of Dhaka(with the support of the general people) arranged a big rallies and meetings.

But, on dated 21st February 1952, police opened fire on rallies. Abdus Salam, Rafiq, Abul Barkat, Abdul Jabbar and Shafiq died with hundreds of others injured at the same time. This was a rare incident in history, where people sacrificed their lives for their mother tongue.

Since then, we Bangladeshis people celebrate the International Mother Language Day as one of their tragic days.

21st February a public holiday in our country (Bangladesh) since 1953. It also known as ‘Shohid Dibosh’. We Bangladesh celebrate International Mother Language day by placing flowers at ‘Shohid Miner’. Bangla Academy arranges ‘Ekushey Book Fair’ in Dhaka for the whole month of February.

@Tushar_Suradkar
@FalguniP
@ajitthite
@TravellerG
@ShubhamWaman
@Gurukrishnapriya
@Shrut19

Md. Jakir Hossan

Dhaka, Bangladesh
27 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: International Mother Language Day

Hello @jakiripsc 

This is a nice celebration and happy international mother language day to you all in Bangladesh. Very kind if you to share this post, thank you.

It's amazing how that here in Africa Nigeria speaks the highest number of languages. Although we have the 3 major languages and ethnic groups of Hausa Igbo and Yoruba yet we have about 300 ethnic groups and 500 hundred languages spoken all over Nigeria. By the way the 3 moderators from Nigeria are from the 3 major ethnic groups in Nigeria.

Yet we don't have this celebration of international mother language day. I wish we do really. Lots of these native tongues are going extinct. People are preferring to speak in English rather. It's not bad really but we could use English as well as preserve these native mother tongues.

While we don't celebrate this,yet I wish you all a happy celebration and thank you for your good work on the local guides scenes. Happy celebrations to all out there in Bangladesh.

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 7

Talen, en zeker moedertalen, zouden gekoesterd moeten worden. In België zijn er 3 landstalen: Nederlands, Frans en Duits. In Nederland spreken ze Nederlands en Fries (in Friesland). Ik wil uw feestdag niet kapen, maar ik zou willen oproepen om Google's databases voor translate te voeden met een reactie in uw eigen moedertaal. Ik schrijf nu in het Nederlands, waarvan er verschillende varianten bestaan (ik heb het niet over dialecten). Het Nederlands dat in Nederland gesproken wordt, heeft soms andere uitdrukkingen of geeft een andere betekenis of gevoelswaarde aan woorden. Ook worden bepaalde woorden soms ietsje anders uitgesproken. Zo wordt "aardig" in Nederland eerder gebruikt in de betekenis van "lief", "schattig, (cfr. "wat een aardige baby!" terwijl in België dit meestal (of toch in sommige dialecten) eerder als "eigenaardig", "vreemd" wordt geïnterpreteerd. Schoon wordt in Nederland meestal gebruikt als er "niet vuil", "proper" bedoeld wordt, terwijl in België er meestal "knap", "mooi" bedoeld wordt. Een kleed wordt in België meestal gebruikt om een jurk aan te duiden, terwijl daar in Nederland doorgaans een vloerkleed of tapijt mee bedoeld wordt. Zo kan ik nog wel even  blijven opsommen, maar ik geef enkel deze lijst om aan te tonen dat er ook in het nederlands taalverschillen voorkomen tussen noord en zuid. Vandaar mijn oproep: post aub een reactie in je eigen moedertaal en schrijf er eventueel bij in welke taal je je reactie post, zodat Google materiaal krijgt om een database voor die taal op te starten als ze die nog niet hebben.

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Connect Moderator

Congratulations on the celebrations of the "International Mother Language Day" in Bangladesh @jakiripsc 

Nice sketch 👍

Level 10

@Tushar_Suradkar Thank you so much. 

Md. Jakir Hossan

Level 10

@SholaIB Thank you so much. 

Md. Jakir Hossan

Level 10

@KattyGeltmeyer Thank you so much. 

Md. Jakir Hossan

Level 9

Betreff: International Mother Language Day

@jakiripsc ein interessanter Beitrag über die geschichtliche, traurige Entwicklung.

Level 10

Yes, dear friend @SholaIB...

"... Lots of these native tongues are going extinct...." 

I fully agree with you... 

This is highly unacceptable... These are treasures of this world... Should be made mandatory to learn the native language, compulsorily... 

I belong to Kerala, a very small state of India...it is customery to learn Malayalam till 10th Standard...almost all states in India follow this... 

Thanks for expressing your thoughts... 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Of course, the mother language is of immense importance to anyone... And English is very essential too... 

But, yes, I too have read about Bangla language and Bangladesh... 

Happy that you are enjoying the International Mother Language today...

Best wishes, dear @jakiripsc...

Happy Mother Language Day to all Bangladeshis... 

👍❤️🤝

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me