NandKK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Kailasa Temple in the Caves of Ellora : A Majestic Marvel Frozen in Time worthy of the Seven Wonders

Namaste LGs around the Globe 🌍

Today I bring the topic of The Ellora Caves which stand out as a truly awe-inspiring spectacle unlike anything I've witnessed before. Situated in the Maharashtra State of India, these caves are more than mere dwellings; they serve as profound testaments to centuries of human artistry and spiritual devotion. My recent journey to the Ellora Caves unveiled a mesmerizing world of ancient wonders.

Ellora caves photo taken by LG NandKKEllora caves photo taken by LG NandKK

Upon entering the complex, I was immediately captivated by the intricate carvings and sculptures that adorned the cave walls. These boast an impressive collection of 34 monasteries and temples. The Ellora Caves complex of rock-cut caves represents three major religions: Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism. While there are over 50 excavations in the vicinity, only 34 caves are open to the public.

• 12 Buddhist caves (caves 1 to 12), dating from the 6th to 8th centuries.
  • 17 Hindu caves (caves 13 to 29), carved between the 7th and 10th centuries.
  • 5 Jain caves (caves 30 to 34), built from the 11th to 12th centuries.

cave 10 of ellora cavescave 10 of ellora caves

Photograph of LG NandKK before a temple wall full of rock-cut statues of hindu dieties dancing and battlingPhotograph of LG NandKK before a temple wall full of rock-cut statues of hindu dieties dancing and battling

Rock-cut Statue of Hindu Diety Ardhnarishwar (Half Mother God and other Half Lord Shiva) , Photograph by LG NandKKRock-cut Statue of Hindu Diety Ardhnarishwar (Half Mother God and other Half Lord Shiva) , Photograph by LG NandKK                                     Rock-cut statue of mother god (nature earth) surrounded by other animals, Photograph by LG NandKKRock-cut statue of mother god (nature earth) surrounded by other animals, Photograph by LG NandKK

My jaw dropped as I entered Cave number 16, the majestic Kailasa TempleCarved from a single rock, the Kailasa Temple is a colossal structure dedicated to Lord Shiva. As I approached, the sheer scale of the temple left me in awe - its intricate carvings adorn every surface, depicting scenes from Hindu mythology with breathtaking detail. Gods and goddesses dance and battle, mythical creatures lurk in shadows, and celestial chariots soar across the stone ceiling. 

A towering of kailasa temple with a a statue of elephant with broken trunkA towering of kailasa temple with a a statue of elephant with broken trunk

Its towering pillars, and the majestic facade depicting Mount Kailash, the mythical abode of Lord Shiva. The interior of the temple and the caves is equally captivating. The sanctum sanctorum houses an awe-inspiring sculpture of Lord Shiva in his various forms, surrounded by intricately carved panels depicting scenes from Hindu mythology.

Upside view of Kailasa Temple, photo taken by NandKKUpside view of Kailasa Temple, photo taken by NandKK

Given the opportunity, I would advocate for the inclusion of the Kailasa Temple among the world's seven wonders, primarily due to its remarkable engineering marvel. It was constructed by vertical excavations, starting from the top of the rock and moving downwards, which is the opposite of how a building is typically constructed. Now just imagine how it would have been possible in ancient times to start carving on a monolithic hill from the top and then moving carving down to bottom with 1000 % flawless perfect alignment. One can see the level of planning and precision which would have been required for this is extraordinary.

LG NandKK taking selfie in front of Kailasa TempleLG NandKK taking selfie in front of Kailasa Temple

Exploring the Ellora Caves is not just a journey through time but also an immersive experience into the diverse religious and cultural history of India. As a traveler, I found myself marveling at the artistry, spirituality, and sheer dedication that went into creating these monumental structures. Ellora Caves truly stand as a testament to the artistic brilliance of our ancestors, inviting us to delve into the mystique of a bygone era.

A statue of mother god  carved out of rockA statue of mother god carved out of rock            A statue of Gautam Buddha Carved out of rockA statue of Gautam Buddha Carved out of rock          A statue of Gautam Buddha in a cave temple Carved out of rockA statue of Gautam Buddha in a cave temple Carved out of rock    Photograph of LG NandKK beside a rock-cut statute of Lord VishnuPhotograph of LG NandKK beside a rock-cut statute of Lord Vishnu

How to reach :- 

✈️ By AirThe closest airport is Aurangabad Airport, which is about 20 km away. From there, you can take a taxi or cab.

🚗 By Road - It is well connected by the major cities of india. Around 329 km from Mumbai. Regular bus services available from the nearby major cities Pune, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Mumbai.

🚂 By Train - The nearest railway station is Aurangabad Railway Station from there around 28 kilometers to caves.

Accessibility - One aspect that pleasantly surprised me was the effort made to ensure accessibility for all visitors. The management has taken steps to make the site 👨‍🦼 wheelchair-friendly, allowing everyone to experience the wonders of these ancient marvels. Ramps and pathways have been strategically placed to provide smooth navigation for wheelchair users.

Tips for Travelers:

• The best time will be winter months (oct to march) to visit here, when the weather is pleasant.
  • Ensure you wear comfortable shoes for the extensive walking involved.
  • Protect yourself from the sun by carrying a hat and sunscreen.
  • Photography is allowed inside the caves, but avoid using flash as it can damage the paintings.
  • Guided tours are available for a deeper understanding of the cave's history and significance.
Ellora, Maharashtra, India
59 comments
Level 9

Betreff: Kailasa Temple in the Caves of Ellora : A Majestic Marvel Frozen in Time worthy of the Seve

@NandKK unglaublich schön. Menschen haben wirkliche schon in der Vorzeit sagenhaftes erschaffen. Ihre Bilder sind auch sehr aussagekräftig und sehenswert.

Level 10

Betreff: Kailasa Temple in the Caves of Ellora : A Majestic Marvel Frozen in Time worthy of the Seve

Vielen Dank, lieber Freund, dass du meine Bemühungen wertgeschätzt hast. @Annaelisa 

Tatsächlich haben Sie zu Recht gesagt, dass die Menschen in der Antike viele majestätische und wunderbare Bauwerke geschaffen haben.

Übrigens, haben Sie schon einmal Felsstatuen oder Höhlenzeichnungen wie die Fotos in meinem Beitrag oben gesehen?

Connect Moderator

Re: Kailasa Temple in the Caves of Ellora : A Majestic Marvel Frozen in Time worthy of the Seven Won

Fabulous photos of the Kailas Temple and Ellora caves @NandKK  👍

Having been born and brought up in Aurangabad, I visited here uncountable times as part of school picnics and later accompanying guests who did not want to miss a visit to this UNESCO World Heritage site.

The third photo where you stand beneath is the most famous part of the caves that depict the 18-Day Mahabharat War and some stories from Ramayan.

Hence, they say the history and culture of India are carved in stone.

@Annaelisa, they created this rock-cut temple from top to bottom and it is the largest monolith structure in the world.

This was more than 2000 years ago.

6 Generations worked continuously working on the same plan over a period of 150 years.

Many kings and queens ruled the land, and they passed away but the work on the temple did not stop.

Also, it amazes modern people to know how they decided which part of the mountain to choose for the cutting.

This is because say after 50 years of work, if they find that there is an internal crack or some loose rock or a cavity at an undesirable place or there is a water body deep inside, the work of decades would be lost.

But as we see today, that did not happen. Hence this temple is also an engineering marvel.

Also, the artist who carved the beautiful statues and idols had only one chance at the carving, any mistake in it and the work would be useless.

But every carving is beautiful than the other. That is astonishing. Isn't it?

Reminds me of another well-traveled local guide @TravellerG who has written about the Mahabalipuram Rock Temples in details.

Level 9

@NandKK soetwas nur aus Sendungen im Fernsehen und solche Dokumentationen sehe ich gerne. Es gibt ja weltweit überall solche Schätze. Hier in Deutschland habe ich Bauten aus der Römerzeit selbst besuchen können.

Level 9

Re: Kailasa Temple in the Caves of Ellora : A Majestic Marvel Frozen in Time worthy of the Seven Won

@Tushar_Suradkar ja es ist fantastisch und genial 

Level 9

@Tushar_Suradkar @NandKK 

Übrigens habe ich vorhin die Einweihung des neuen Tempels in Indien im Fernsehen gesehen 

Connect Moderator

Yes, a new temple is being built in India after 500 years @Annaelisa 

The word inauguration is less than the real meaning.

This is called 'Pran Prathishta' - meaning life is put into the temple by inviting the Gods, the Lord to come and live there.

The temple itself is considered the God...

The meaning is deep and cannot be explained in simple English 😊

Level 7

Another great post @NandKK Sir! I have heard a lot about Ellora Caves, but now exploring it through your post! Very informative and nicely presented the key points! I really like the Tips for Travelers key points! Beautiful pictures and great narration! Best of Wishes for all your future post! Regards Sir!

Level 9

@Tushar_Suradkar danke für die weitergehende Erklärung. Obwohl Einweihung enthält das Wort Weihe was nach meinem Verständnis dem nahe kommt.