Rednewt74's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

New Google Photos Feature - Photo Stacks

Photo Stacks

A few days ago, I received a notice of a new Google Photo Feature on my Pixel 7 pro. It is called Photo stacks.  If you turn this feature on, then when you take several (2 or more) similar photos they are displayed as a stack rather than individually. So if you take 2 or more similar photos, you will only see one in your photo gallery.  There is an icon in the upper right corner of the top photo that indicates it is a stack.

Caption: Screenshot of images in Google photo with the stack icon circledCaption: Screenshot of images in Google photo with the stack icon circled

CaptionScreenshot : Detail of image with the stack icon circled.CaptionScreenshot : Detail of image with the stack icon circled.

If you click on the top photo a new screen opens that shows the top shot and below it icons for the other photos in the stack. There is also an icon to open the grid view.Caption: Combined screenshots. On the left is the screen that opens when you click the top photo in the gallery. The right side indicates the grid icon.Caption: Combined screenshots. On the left is the screen that opens when you click the top photo in the gallery. The right side indicates the grid icon.In grid view the photos have check boxes (circle in upper left corner). You can choose one or all of the images by checking the box. Once an image(s) is selected there are icons below that allow you to take different actions. If you swipe left additional action icons appear.

Caption: Combined screenshots. On the left is the screen you see after clicking the grid icon. Photos have checkboxes for selecting them and there are icons for actions you can take. The right side shows the action icons that are available if you swipe left.Caption: Combined screenshots. On the left is the screen you see after clicking the grid icon. Photos have checkboxes for selecting them and there are icons for actions you can take. The right side shows the action icons that are available if you swipe left.

If this feature is available to you, I believe it is off by default. If it seems like you are missing some photos, check to see if you have stacks turned on. I am trying it out and I am not sure yet if I like it. The stack icon on the top photo is small and, for me, is hard to notice.Let me know if you are trying it out.

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: New Google Photos Feature - Photo Stacks

Thanks for sharing, @Rednewt74 

I have been frustrated that some of my photos went missing just to be hidden in such a stack. So I'm happy to have it turned off.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 10

@Rednewt74 I went through a few months of photos and I'm not noticing any stacks. I checked my settings in Photos and don't see it listed. I know there was a Feature Drop to correspond with the Mint Pixel release, but I may not have received it, yet. Google insists the carriers have no control over the release, but experience seems to suggest otherwise. Hopefully, I'll have all of the features with the February security update.

Thanks for the instructions. Now I'll know what to do when I see the feature show up!

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 9

@JustJake,

A notification popped up when it became available. You have to turn it on. I'm not sure how I like it. It's easy to miss the stack icon. On the other hand the grid view makes it easy to compare shots. 

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
Level 9