HeyitsNicho's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Old Town is the new New Town

20231022_152230.jpg

Generally, I found it to be a few queues at weekend and weekdays so do make sure you set off a little bit before if you are going to get some food. There are a lot of good breakfast options here which of course depending on where you go will have vegan or vegetarian options. A lot of places here have choices of grapefruit juice or orange juice, in addition to mimosa. Besides breakfast which genere ally has a broad variety of breakfast choices, dinners were a bit more related to polish food, which is not a bad thing as there are a lot of great options. Have a look out for Pierogi/Dumplings (I personally loved feta cheese and spinach), Cabbage Rolls, or Gulaszj.

20231024_121422.jpg

This is shakshuka! Super tasty north African dish 🙂 

Old town is a really nice spot to have a drink and I would highly recommend avoiding eating here in the square. And I say that as the food quality is not good and it is all very rushed. I cannot speak for all of restaurant in the square but whenever you cannot see any of the monuments like Bazylika Mariacka or the MNK Sukiennice you are clear to eat. There are plenty of side streets and hidden corners where there is tasty food. (Also a hint: There is a little bar up on the the MNK Sukiennice that has a view over the Bazylika Mariacka). Old Town is as fun during the night as most places do at least stay open until 23 o’clock. You for sure should take a day or two here walking around and enjoying all the sights as it does have a lot to offer from tourism, food and shopping. One of the oldest pubs in Krakow is actually located here which I thought was really awesome. Whilst the pub might be a few hundred years old, old town it has a history dating back all the way to the year 1000! It has a good mixture of Renaissance and Baroque architecture. 

20231022_141723.jpg

20231022_142201.jpg

20231023_111708.jpg

In Krakow, there are tour busses which can take you to Auschwitz if you want to explore the camp. Polen was taken over by the Nazi party on 6 September 1939, and therefore, unfortunately, share a lot of tragic tales. Krakow’s Jewish Quarter, Kazimierz, was established and had a large community and therefore is a special place for Jewish heritage. It is viable to go here and visit. There is a mural and synagogue to go to. An alternative is the Oskar Schindler's Enamel Factory – which briefly talk about the significance of the factory but also World War 2. If you don’t know, this was a “safe-haven” for Jewish workers as they were made sure to not be assaulted and harassed.

20231025_101735.jpg

During my time here I went to see The Princes Czartoryski Museum and the Wavel-Castel which were great for Polish history and some.

20231025_143009.jpg

The Princes Czartoryski Museum is a short good museum to go to as the price is reasonable and you get to see a lot of artwork, even a famous Leonardo DaVinci painting, and some weapons, and items from Europe. I did not use the headphones, but I regret that afterwards.

The Wavel-Castel, built during the 13th to 14th century, now a “free to visit” historical venue where that has a great view overlooking the city and amazing museums. There is about six+ unique exhibitions (which you have to play for all separately), one of which is the dungeon! You can go up the castle without payment, it is only if you are going to see any of the exhibits. 

20231025_141115.jpg

Last thing to mention is going to Krakow zoo! And here there are a lot of different animals ranging from monkeys, felines, birds and small cute red pandas! This place is a bit far out but it is actually reasonably priced I think the taxi getting there is more expensive, but honestly worth going to for half a day out. 

20231023_143120.jpg

Places are closed here on Sunday which are places like shopping and grocery stores.

Make sure to download Bolt before going as it is a really great way of getting back and forth from places without the hassle of getting a taxi.

Nicholai Martin/Nick M
@HeyitsNicho
Kraków, Poland
2 comments
Level 9

Betreff: Old Town is the new New Town

@HeyitsNicho 

Sehr interessant, schöne Bilder und Hinweis wider dem Vergessen 

Level 7

Betreff: Old Town is the new New Town

Danke! Thanks for the message. It really is a symblic town representing history from the medieval ages up until modern day. 

Nicholai Martin/Nick M
@HeyitsNicho