JustJake's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[RECAP] Road Mapper Challenge Knowledge-Sharing Meet-Up

On Sunday, February 11th, I hosted the virtual Road Mapper Challenge Knowledge-Sharing Meetup, co-hosted by my friend @PrasadVR. The goal was to meet with the participants of my 31 Day Road Mapper Challenge and discuss what we learned during the event. It was wonderful to connect via Google Meet with some of the active participants of the Challenge and bring Road Mapper discussions into a live forum.

Recap image.jpg

Participant and guest @ShailendraOjha also wrote a great recap from a participant perspective that you can read here.

Meetup ScreenShot.png

Premise:

On January 1st, I created a Road Mapper Challenge to make 31 straight days of contributions to the program. Much to my surprise, several other Local Guides decided to join me. Together, we completed 1,855 missions in Road Mapper and contributed 1,922 Kilometers to the map. Once we completed our Challenge, @PrasadVR proposed that we meet to discuss the Challenge, and review what we'd learned and discovered, as shared in the 200+ comments on the post.

Caption: 9 participants of the 31-Day Challenge, and our shared contribution statsCaption: 9 participants of the 31-Day Challenge, and our shared contribution stats

Meet-up Flow:

We started with a brief explanation and history of the Road Mapper program, including the Beta release to the lucky 2019 Connect Live participants, the 2021 release for applications, the Q&A with Karolina Pyszkiewicz about the program, and @Mike_G's recent announcement of a new application window.

We then looked over the results of our shared contributions in the 31-Day Challenge. Born of our monthlong discussion on the post, LG @Rednewt74 created a Tracking Workbook which he discussed and shared with all of us.

Caption: Summary page of LG @Rednewt74's Road Mapper tracking sheet with his results from the 31 Day ChallengeCaption: Summary page of LG @Rednewt74's Road Mapper tracking sheet with his results from the 31 Day Challenge

We then got into some tips and best practices for contributing to Road Mapper. We were lucky to have @JanVanHaver with us to share his experience and knowledge from using Road Mapper & having discussions with the Maps team. There was a great discussion regarding fixing/editing roads on the map instead of deleting them. 

Deleting Roads.jpg

We discussed identifying roads to draw and add to the map, pros and cons of choosing when or why to do Challenges in Road Mapper vs. editing roads in Google Maps, and some keystroke shortcuts to make editing easier. 

We finished up with some plans for possible future Road Mapper focused meet ups, and the invitation for everyone to join the upcoming Road Adding TRAC Meet event from Connect Moderator, @SholaIB - which you can find the details about along with past campaigns HERE.

I'm very grateful to those who joined. Great to see @TerryPG@ofsanjay@travellgrapher along with the others mentioned above!   

Happy ScreenshotSN.jpg

JustJake TRAC Badge
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Road Mapper Challenge Knowledge-Sharing Meet-Up

t was a fun & interesting Meetup - thx for hosting it @JustJake @PrasadVR 

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 9

@JustJake  @PrasadVR,

Thank you both for creating and hosting this meet up. It was fun and it is great to have faces and voices to connect with usernames. 

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
Level 8

"Productive & knowledge sharing & fun-filled meet-up recap, @JustJake & @PrasadVR Ji my gratitude for the perspectives shared.

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 10

@JanVanHaver   Thank you sir for joining the meetup. Your insights enriched the event.

Signature Image
Level 10

@Rednewt74  Thank you for joining the meetup and for your support during the campaign. Your tool is helpful for analyzing our contributions.👍

Signature Image
Level 10

@ShailendraOjha . Thank you ji for your active participation during the campaign and meet up.

Signature Image
Level 10

Awesome and fun recap @JustJake. Love to see you hosting this meetup and sharing the key takeaways. 💖