indahnuria's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Sop Kambing - Delicious Lamb/Goat Soup for celebrating Eid Al-Adha

A bowl of Sop Kambing complete with steamed rice, fried shallots, sambal and kerupuk prepared by LG @indahnuriaA bowl of Sop Kambing complete with steamed rice, fried shallots, sambal and kerupuk prepared by LG @indahnuria

Eid Al - Adha Mubarak to all my dearest friends and families here in Connect!

Many of the Moslem families celebrating Eid Al Adha with their families and loved ones last week. One of the significance of this auspicious occasions is the sacrifice made. This signifies the spirit of devotion to our Creator as well as love and compassion for our families and communities.

A banner of Eid Al-Adha Mubarak with purple embroideries and mandala in the background prepared by LG @indahnuriaA banner of Eid Al-Adha Mubarak with purple embroideries and mandala in the background prepared by LG @indahnuria

This year, my family and I celebrated the Eid al-Adha together with many moslem families and communities in Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand. For the second time, the prayer and the celebration were conducted in Sky Stadium. The celebration showcased many interesting activities for the kids like Hajj treasure hunt, VR, bouncy castles, puppet shows and more. For sure, delicious food and beverages as well as crafts, jewelries and dresses from many corners of the world were available for purchase.

A collage of photos of friends and ladies from Indonesian Moslem Community in Wellington during the Eid al-Adha celebrationA collage of photos of friends and ladies from Indonesian Moslem Community in Wellington during the Eid al-Adha celebration

The celebration continued the following weekend as we had gathering with Indonesia Moslem Communities in Wellington as well. More Indonesian signature dishes like sate kambing, gulai kambing and bakso were prepared and we certainly had a blast with fun programs including modest fashion show, face painting for kids and games.

A collage of photos of food being served during Eid Al-Adha celebration - gulai kambing, sate kambing dan ayam, and many Indonesian traditional cakes and  munchiesA collage of photos of food being served during Eid Al-Adha celebration - gulai kambing, sate kambing dan ayam, and many Indonesian traditional cakes and munchies

So, to continue the celebration at my home, I love to cook for my family. As I found the halal lamb meat and bones in our local butchery in Wellington Halal Meat, I decided to create some part of the scrumptious Eid Al-Adha cuisine by cooking Sop Kambing.

Well, I actually cook with lamb meat instead of the goat meat. So the soup should be called lamb soup. Literally, kambing is translated as goat in English. So sop kambing is translated as Goat Soup. While Domba or lamb, is also commonly use as the sacrifice animals as well and therefore lamb meat is cooked during the Aid Al-Adha festivities. Well, here in Aotearoa New Zealand, we have more lamb meat than goat, I use lamb for this soup. So, again, feel free to use goat or lamb meat for this recipe.

Back home in Indonesia, during Eid Al Adha or more commonly known as Idul Adha, various dishes using lamb, goat and beef are mostly cooked at homes. Sop kambing or lamb soup has been widely known as a famous plate even on daily basis. We have them almost everywhere, from the street food stall to the top-notch restaurants and hotels as this dish is popular.

The recipe for sup kambing is easy to follow and we can pretty much use any meats to our preference actually. No wonder this dish is popular and it is usually served with a warm plate of steamed rice, crackers, acar or Indonesian pickles and sambal or the chili sauce. For Indonesians, the crackers are a compulsory condiment, be it kerupuk (garlic, shrimp, or fish crackers usually) or emping - bitter nut crackers, which is a hit in my home due to its unique, addictive flavor.

sup kambing - masak.jpg

For sure, the rich texture and delicious tender meat, tantalizingly added  with flavored aroma from traditional spices used for the soup, makes this dish so mouth- watering, even as I wrote this LOL.

Alright… so now, are you ready to cook with me? Let’s start..

Ingredients:

Lamb meat - 1kg, cleaned and chopped or cut to cubes or pieces you desired

Lamb bones - 250gr, for broth

Spices to grind

Onion - 1 big clove

Garlic - 10 cloves (I like using more)

Shallot - 4 medium cloves

Coriander - grounded, 1 teaspoon

Candlenuts - 4 pieces, crushed

Nutmeg powder - as desired

Clove - as desired, and only if you like it

Star anise - 2-3 pieces, as desired

Salt and pepper - as desired

Sugar - as desired

Vegetable oil - 1 - 2 spoonfuls

Carrots - cut in dice or as desired

Potatoes - cut in dice, fried

vegetables and spices used for sup kambing recipevegetables and spices used for sup kambing recipe

Garnish:

spring onion - as desired

cilantro - as desired

Tomatoes - as desired

Limes - as desired

Kerupuk – chips, fried or cooked in microwafe

Acar – pickled cucumber, carrots and shallots

Steamed rice

How to cook:

Firstly, we will prepare all the spices by grinding and blending them. Feel free to use blender and food processor, or Using mortar and pestle like I did, then grind the garlic, shallot, coriander and candle nut.

Then prepare the pan or directly on the pot, add one spoonful of vegetable oil and once the oil is hot and ready, sauté the ground spices until golden, so it is well cooked and fragrant. Put the lamb meat and the bones, mix it with the spices until slightly cooked.

In a large pot, boil the water then put the lamb meat and bones together with the spices. Cook them until the meat is soft. Using regular pot, it might take around 2 hours to get it tender. That is why I love using pressure cooker as I only cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until the meat is tender.

Once the meat is tender, put carrots, celery/spring onion and boil it for 5 - 10 minutes. Try the soup, correct the flavor as needed and voila, sup kambing is ready.

Again as I said, I usually eat it together with a bowl of warm steamed rice, acar and kerupuk.

My husband loves to give some drops of fresh lime or lemon to the soup to make it fresher. Feel free to do so.

Hope you get a chance to try this recipe and please tell me what you think about this soup. Share your favorite soup as well and tell me why .

I would like to especially share this recipe to my dearest LG foodies and chefs @Mikeinthefalls @TerryPG @Velvel @PaDeSSo @Nyainurjanah @FalguniP and @AdrianLunsong 

Selamat makan and see you on the next post!

Cheers

LG @indahnuria and hubby @rudifrakarsa posing for Eid Al-Adha celebrationLG @indahnuria and hubby @rudifrakarsa posing for Eid Al-Adha celebration

Wellington, New Zealand
21 comments
Level 10

Re: Sop Kambing - Delicious Lamb/Goat Soup for celebrating Eid Al-Adha

Thank you @indahnuria  I think that I would like this.

Connect Moderator

PXL_20230630_040109422.jpg

 Tetehhh @indahnuria Selamat idul aha ya, dan terima kasih untuk resepnya juga.

Hanya saja tahun ini keluarga kami tidak mendapat daging qurban karena prioritas bagi mereka yang sangat membutuhkan,tapi keluarga ibu dapat jatah pembagian.

Jadi photo di atas adalah photo ketika mencicipi daging qurban dari ibu. Berhubung dapat dagingnya sedikit dan saat ini kondisi sedang menyusui pasca melahirkan jadi bawaannya lapar terus harap maklum sedikit daging dengan toping ketupat di sertai nasi semangkok penuh adalah pilihan paling rasional hehehe...

Level 7

Thanks for the tag @indahnuria 

I love how detailed your post is. I was not aware of Eid Al Adha and now have a pretty good understanding! 

I also think I'd like this soup @TerryPG I also think I'd like to attend those gatherings, so much delicious looking good and time spent with family and friends. 🤗

Level 10

Hello @indahnuria,

Honestly I've never made lamb soup. The recipe description in your post looks really good.

Normally when I make a soup I use legumes and vegetables.

My mother and grandmother made chicken broth and sometimes with cow meat.
It's really nice to see such a big community getting together and sharing food.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Level 8

Bls: Sop Kambing - Delicious Lamb/Goat Soup for celebrating Eid Al-Adha

Thank you Miss. @indahnuria  nice information 

| My IG | My FB | My Maps |
Connect Moderator

thank you so much @TerryPG . As promised, when one of my (or my families' recipes) is out on Connect, I will tag the LG foodies 😎. Happy to know you will like it. Have you tried other type of food made of lamb/goat meat?

Connect Moderator

Neeeng @Nyainurjanah makasih banyak udah share makanan khusus lebaran Idul Adha-nya. Meuni kabita, euy hehehe. Kemarin saat lebaran, kita bantu memotong domba 9 ekor di sini, sebagian disumbangkan kepada yang memerlukan dan sebagian dimasak. Sampai cangkeul euy nusuk sate kambing rame-rame sampai 1000 tusuk lebih untuk acara community gathering dengan ibu - ibu. Tapi seru pisan! Bahagia rasanya melihat makanan bisa diolah dan dinikmati bersama.

Busui memang harus makan banyak supaya asupan susu banyak dan ASI melimpah ya. Kecup sayang buat jagoan kecilmu. Makan yang enak dan banyak hehe!

Tagging @PaDeSSo  @NunungAfuah @KashifMisidia @TravellerG @br14n for their experience as well

Connect Moderator

Dearest @Mikeinthefalls ..happy to know you enjoy the post and the recipe. Hope you can recreate it in your own kitchen and even make your version with different spices and condiments. The gathering was lovely indeed and it was so much fun and joy with tons of scrumptious food.

Do you like soup as well, Mike? What do you usually enjoy cooking or eating?

Connect Moderator

Hi kak @indahnuria seru sekali cerita dan fotonya. Sayangnya saya tidak suka kambing. Saya suka sate kambing muda itupun kalau masaknya benar. Tapi, lebaran Iduladha kemarin alhamdulillah kami dapat banyak daging sapi. Jadi saya membuat pentol bakso dan daging sapi bumbu (entah namanya apa, ada yg bilang bumbu lapis, ada yg bilang bumbu age). Semuanya enak, saya sematkan dua fotonya di bawah 🙂

PXL_20230701_084507981.jpg

caption: semangkok besar pentol bakso foto dari Local Guides Nunung Afuah

PXL_20230703_071704955.PORTRAIT.jpg

caption: semangkuk daging sapi bumbu lapis yang biasa ada di hajatan orang Jawa Timur, foto dari Local Guides Nunung Afuah 

Indonesia Local Guides