katydarhel's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

#TeamBelarus, Belarusian cuisine

Hello local guides !!!
My post is a response to #TeamChallenge  'Showcase your country' by @ermest from #TeamBelarus.

Well, today, my dear local guides, let's talk about national Belarusian cuisine. You understand, writing about a country and not describing its cuisine is nothing. I will not be able to fully describe all Belarusian cuisine, just take a quick look. Belarusian cuisine is very hearty, includes many dishes prepared from potatoes, cereals, vegetables, pork. There are practically no seafood in Belarusian cuisine. Fish is present mainly from freshwater bodies. Belarusian cuisine is very similar to Lithuanian and Ukrainian.

Belarusian cuisineBelarusian cuisine

The first dish I’d ​​like to talk about is called kliocki z dušami (dumplings with souls). This is a Belarusian analogue of Lithuanian cepelinai. These are boiled balls of raw grated potatoes inside with meat. Kliocki z dušami is served with sour cream. This dish is inexpensive and very satisfying. Perhaps this is the secret of its long life. The dish is widespread in the north-west of Belarus. I cooked these kliocki z dušami myself.

kliocki z dušamikliocki z dušami

Another great dish is syrniki (cheese pancakes). Syrniki are pancakes from cottage cheese with the addition of flour, eggs, as well as raisins. This dish is present in Ukrainian and Russian cuisine. I love this dish for breakfast. It is very satisfying and low-calorie.
syrnikisyrniki

Haračaja patelnia (hot pan) and jaječnia (scrambled eggs). This is a dish from peasant cuisine, something quick when unexpectedly a guest comes into the house. Fried potatoes with sausage, bacon, egg or just fried eggs on bacon with onions. Home-made sausage is called in Belarus 'kaŭbasa palcam pkhanaja'. This is a sausage made from fresh minced meat in a natural shell.
haračaja patelniaharačaja patelnia

Another dish without which it is simply impossible to imagine Belarusian cuisine is draniki. Grated potato pancakes with or without filling. The filling is made from meat or mushrooms. Served with sour cream or mačanka (something like sauce). Mačanka is prepared from chopped lard, ham, sausage, flour and water. Also add onions, mushrooms, dill. Pancakes need to be dipped in the mačanka.

draniki with mačankadraniki with mačanka

draniki with sour creamdraniki with sour cream

Now about the soups. Another national dish is a khaladnik. This dish is also national in Lithuanian cuisine. The haladnik is a soup that is served cold. It is made from grated boiled beets, fresh cucumber, boiled egg. To all this add green onions and dill. Served with sour cream. The haladnik is eaten with boiled potatoes. This haladnik was prepared by my friend and she kindly invited me to try it.
khaladnikkhaladnik

Saroka (magpie). This dish is not found in any culinary guide, nor in any guidebook on Belarus and its national cuisine. This dish is purely regional, and maybe even family. It is cooked by my mother and it was cooked by my grandmother. The saroka is a cross between omelet and pancake. Either this is an omelet with flour, or a thick, thick pancake. The saroka is cooked in a real oven. The set of products for this dish is the most ordinary, but the taste is special.
sarokasaroka

Belarusian national cuisine is becoming increasingly popular. They open more and more restaurants with national cuisine. Restaurateurs and chefs delve into the history of Belarusian cuisine in order to find something traditional, characteristic only for this region, something that would distinguish Belarusian cuisine from the cuisine of its neighbors.There are many restaurants in Minsk and other cities where Belarusian cuisine is wide and varied. This is the restaurant of Belarusian and Lithuanian cuisine ‘Kuhmistr’, a chain of restaurants ‘Vasilki’, a restaurant ‘Kamyanitsa’, restaurant 'Slavianski Kut' a cafe ‘U Frantsiska’.

I will be very glad, dear local guides, if you come to visit and try some of ? the dishes of national cuisine. 
Katy Darhel
Беларусь, Belarus
19 comments
Level 10

Re: #TeamBelarus, Belarusian cuisine

@katydarhel Your post is exellent as usual. Where did you find this stove? The pan frying directly in fire... I have remembered my grandmother's house and her stove from my childhood. It was so delicious to taste something straight from the fire!

Level 7

Hi @OlgaKlimchik,
I'm so happy that theese photos immersed you in childhood memories. The stove is in the house of the parents and it is still functioning. It was a big surprise for me that the pancakes in the oven are not fried from below, as on an ordinary stove, but baked from above. It is really very tasty and absolutely not greasy.

Katy Darhel
Level 10

@katydarhel 

Good evening. Thank you for introducing the Belarusian meal. Every dish looks very beautiful. I would like to eat the saroka introduced at the end. I want to eat saroka someday when I travel to Belarus with my family. Thank you very much. Regard

Hello everyone.!
My name is 955HIRO and I live in Tokyo, Japan. I would like to share photos of travel, customs unique to Japan, and Japan-specific matters with you all.
My hobbies are travel, gourmet, and car. If you have any questions or questions about Japan, I will answer to the best of my knowledge. Thank you very much.

こんにちは(^.^)
日本の東京に住む955HIROと申します。

旅行の写真、日本ならではの慣習、日本独特な事項などの写真をチームの皆様とシェアしていきたいと思っています。
趣味は旅行、食べ歩き、自動車など。

日本に関して何か疑問や質問がありましたら、分かる範囲でお答え致します。

宜しくお願いします!

My profile
Level 7

@955HIRO,
thank you very much for your kind comment. I know that the journey from Japan to Belarus is very long. It is 8,000 kilometers. Nevertheless, the possibility of this visit cannot be ruled out. The last meal saroka is a family tradition. And I would love to cook it for you and your family !!!

Katy Darhel
Level 9

Wow amazing post dear @katydarhel you describe every cuisine of Belarus in a great way, really mouth watery and delicious:)

Hope i'll try the tasty food of Belarus in future but from your post i am able to know about the famous foods, thanks for sharing with us.

Great job #TeamBelarus

Kudos for you!

Recently we hosted a meet, feel free to check the Recap:

@955HIRO 

RECAP-TeamIndia-PhotoWalk-at-Tapkeshwar-Temple  

Level 8

RE: #TeamBelarus, Belarusian cuisine

@katydarhel  All the Belarusian food looks delicious. You rarely eat seafood? We like seafood.^^ Thank you for sharing your food. I met your food through you:) 

Kelly
Former Google Contributor

Hi @katydarhel,

Thank you for sharing and representing #TeamBelarus!

I really like the photography and the great description of the dishes, especially Haračaja patelnia and Haladnik. : ]

My mother used to live in Minsk and she would tell me the interesting cultural aspects, especially the cuisine.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 7

Hi @IshantHP_ig,
thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad that you were interested in Belarusian cuisine, because it is very different from Indian, and I had the honor to once try an original dish brought from India. I am so happy that thanks to Connect Live we learn more about each other, because we are so different and at the same time so the same.

Katy Darhel
Level 7

RE: #TeamBelarus, Belarusian cuisine

Hi @KellyHyojeongKim,
thank you very much for the kind words. I am so glad that you have learned at least something about my country. I would also like to know more about South Korea. In Belarus, in my opinion, they eat enough sea fish(because it is delivered from the Baltic), but not seafood. But as for the national cuisine, there is no sea fish there, however, there is river fish. In South Korea, I suppose the opposite, isn't it?

Katy Darhel