Gurukrishnapriya's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

#TeamIndia - Kadhamba Sambar Sadham - Veggies & lentils blended Rice

#TeamIndia post 69 about Traditional food. 

This is a popular South Indian dish. A very delicious food, a combination of more than 21 kinds of vegetables,  4 kinds of lentils, spices  and rice. This is a highly nutritional food and is very good for health. This food gives us more strength and energy required, particularly during  the winter months.  

20201226_134434~2.jpg

This dish is usually prepared the next day after undertaking fast on Ekadasi day (10th phase of the moon). Fasting adjusts our digestion and this dish gives us more energy. In other words this dish is a health booster.

All vegetables does not have the same cooking duration.  They are categorized into three - long, medium and short cooking time vegetables. Below are the pictures of these three categories. 

20201226_121943.jpg

The long duration Veggies like turnips, potatoes, carrots etc.

20201226_123811~2.jpg

Vegetables with medium cooking duration like Drumsticks Cucumber Snake gourd Raw mango etc.

20201226_125107~3.jpg

These above vegetables take less cooking duration - Capsicum, raw banana,  egg plant etc.

Materials required 

*3 bowls of cut vegetables comprising of 21 varieties:

Hard

Sweet potato
Red raddish
White raddish
Carrots
Beetroot
Tapioca
Sapan (colocasia)

Medium 
Beans
Drumsticks
Cucumber
Snake gourd
Field bean
Goose berry
Bottle gourd
Scarlet gourd
Raw mango
Bitter gourd
Raw banana
Cabbage

Soft

Brinjal
Ladies finger
Capsicum
Black eye legume etc. 

*4 kinds of lentils: measuring table spoons 

3 of Toor dal,

2 of Urad dal,

3 of Chenna dal and

2 Moong dal.

1 tea spoon of 

*Chilli powder 

*Pepper powder 

*Fenugreek

*Mustard 

A pinch of 

*Turmeric

*Asafoetida (Hing)

*Tamarind (2 lemon size balls)

*Oil 3 table spoons 

*Ghee 2 tea spoons 

Rice 2 cups 

Salt as required 

Recipe 

Wash and soak all the four types of lentils for 10 minutes and then cook on fire till soft. Mash it, and  keep aside.

20201226_122129~2.jpg

Wash rice  and add  4 cups of water and cook in slow flame till water gets absorbed fully and keep aside. 

Soak tamarind and extract its puree. 

Take a deep pan and heat oil. Add mustard, red chillies, fenugreek  and after splutter add the hard vegetables, pour 2 cups of water and cook in low heat.  When half boiled add medium vegetables and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, then add soft vegetables, add salt and cook for 2  more minutes. Add curry leaves  with  stacks, Turmeric powder and Asafoetida and keep cooking on low flame. 

20201226_125658.jpg

Vegetables being cooked in low flame.  Then add Tamarind juice,  Chilli powder, pepper powder and boil it. Below is the picture of vegetables boiling in Tamarind juice and added spices. 

20201226_132849.jpg

To this  add the  cooked  lentils and rice and mix properly.  Add 2 spoons of ghee to it.

20201226_133202~2.jpg

Now the aromatic Kadhamba Sambar Rice is ready.  No other side dish required. Just imagine the flavors of different varieties of vegetables in one go. The taste is simply amazing. 

Requesting my dear local guides to relish  this traditional dish @TravellerG  @RtnArulPrakasamT 

@AmbrishVarshney  @RosyKohli  @Tejal  @Shrut19  @anil9616 

Passionate about
#Temple Art & Architecture
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
47 comments
Level 10

Re: Kadhamba Sambar Sadham - Veggies & lentils blended Rice

Really 21 kind of vegetables and lentils I can't believe this I wish to eat once in a life thanks for sharing @Gurukrishnapriya 

MUHAMMAD USMAN Facebook
Who am I
Level 8

Re: #TeamIndia - Kadhamba Sambar Sadham - Veggies & lentils blended Rice

@Gurukrishnapriya 

So many flavor all together I must come to your house for taste this. Thank you for sharing with us. 

Regards Tejal

Connect Moderator

So delicious and healthy 😋. South Indian food is always my favourite. Thank you @Gurukrishnapriya ma'am for sharing this recipe with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Very delicious and healthy dish @Gurukrishnapriya 21 vegetables and 4 lentils make it a nutrition bomb. One plate a day is enough for the whole day. Thanks a lot for sharing this nice post with amazing photos and descriptions. Regards. 

Hello @Anil6969 ji, you are invited to have a taste of this 😊 

Level 9

Wow!

I love Vegetable dishes. It energizes and boosts up not just one's energy, invigorates the digestive system, but it also supplies all of these without adding fat. Thank you for sharing @Gurukrishnapriya 

Level 10

Simply superb...

You are making me more hungry...

A perfect combination of Carbohydrates & Proteins!

The king of the Sambar Sadham (Sambar Sadham is one of the most consumed food variety after Curd rice in the South, I believe - right?)...

The finished food (Photo) is LOOKING AWESOME, dear @Gurukrishnapriya.

Hello dear @Tejal @NareshDarji & @MukulR - particularly the south Indian vegetarians, we need Sambar as a must dish.

This special combination of the Sambar Sadham has more spiritual value too.

Regards with thanks for sharing this powerful post.

PS:

Kindly just get refreshed to keep your PHOTOS in FULL SCREEN - Here is a post by @Tushar_Suradkar

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 9

@Gurukrishnapriya 

Looks yummy, I love South Indian food & I have eaten this my mom neighbour cooks yummy. But now with your recipe I should try I hope I get all 21 vegetables . 

I also make Sambar not put so many vegetables. I love eating on banana leaf. 

Feeling hungry.

Tanks for sharing your style . 

Happy new year in advance. 

Level 8

Re: Kadhamba Sambar Sadham - Veggies & lentils blended Rice

Yes 21 kinds of vegetables.  It gives a very different taste  @Muhammad_Usman 

Thanks for your immediate reply. 

Passionate about
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Level 8

You are most welcome @Tejal  ben. Hope we can have a meet-up. Thanks for your feedback. 

Passionate about
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.