Ivi_Ge's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

The museum photo challenge winners are here!

Thank you to everyone who took part in our museum photo challenge! You shared amazing photos and stories of museums and galleries around the world. And, collectively, you contributed more than 400 new reviews and photos on Google Maps, helping people everywhere choose their next cultural destination. 

It was no easy task to select the best entries as each one shared something unique. That’s why, we will be awarding the new Connect badge not to ten, but twenty Local Guides!

Without further ado, here are 20 of the best entries in alphabetical order. The list continues in the first comment below. 

If you don’t see your name, don’t worry — our next challenge is coming up in July. It will be about one very special occasion. 😉

@AdrianLunsong introduced the Manchester Museum in Manchester, UK

Caption: A photo of the Manchester Museum showing the main atrium where the skeleton of a sperm whale and a hand-crocheted piece in the form of a skeletal hand are hung up above the visitors and various floors with exhibits. (Local Guide @AdrianLunsong)Caption: A photo of the Manchester Museum showing the main atrium where the skeleton of a sperm whale and a hand-crocheted piece in the form of a skeletal hand are hung up above the visitors and various floors with exhibits. (Local Guide @AdrianLunsong)

He said: “The photo shows the older section of the museum. This view doesn't do justice to the impressive size of the sperm whale skeleton but it does show you the beautiful building that harbors it. You can see the skylight roof that lets in natural light and the various floors with different but fascinating natural history exhibits.”

Read more here.

@Amiran introduced the Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art in Tehran, Iran

Caption: A photo of the Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art showing a gentle slope that leads from one floor to another with concrete columns in the center. (Local Guide @Amiran)Caption: A photo of the Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art showing a gentle slope that leads from one floor to another with concrete columns in the center. (Local Guide @Amiran)

He said: “This [photo] represents the spirit of the architecture of the building. When you follow artworks and visit different parts of the building, you're indeed on a smooth path that moves you from the floor to the underground, but you don't notice at all! This image clearly shows the movement. It also shows the concrete columns that are a representation of standing and resistance.”

Read more here.

@AZ_2021 introduced the Pine-Strawberry Museum in Pine, AZ, USA

Caption: A photo of the Pine-Strawberry Museum showing a display of housework tools from the early 1900s and a quote on the wall saying, ‘Woman’s work was never done.’ (Local Guide @AZ_2021)Caption: A photo of the Pine-Strawberry Museum showing a display of housework tools from the early 1900s and a quote on the wall saying, ‘Woman’s work was never done.’ (Local Guide @AZ_2021)

She said: “The photo best encapsulates the museum's layout. The carpeting and flat open flooring show that the rooms are accessibility-friendly. Also, it shows how the museum features historic artifacts, glass displays, and writing that you can read to further grasp the exhibits. While the photo may not be the most aesthetically pleasing with splashes of color, the dull tones reflect the toughness of life in the early 1900s in the United States.”

Read more here.

@Cecilita introduced Museo Moderno in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Caption: A photo of Museo Moderno showing people walking around a room with modern art dedicated to recycling, where most of the art pieces are made with recyclables. (Local Guide @Cecilita)Caption: A photo of Museo Moderno showing people walking around a room with modern art dedicated to recycling, where most of the art pieces are made with recyclables. (Local Guide @Cecilita)

She said: “I like this photo because you can see that the people are enjoying their visit. I also like it because the pieces of art (mannequins and the green arch) are made with lots of recycled materials. This photo merges the two things I like the most... museums and ecology!! Can it be better? 🏛🌱

Read more here.

@deadmanjones introduced the Apedale Heritage Centre in Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK

Caption: A photo of the Apedale Heritage Centre showing a display of bricks along a flat concrete floor with yellow painted lines. (Local Guide @deadmanjones)Caption: A photo of the Apedale Heritage Centre showing a display of bricks along a flat concrete floor with yellow painted lines. (Local Guide @deadmanjones)

He said: “Apedale is a small volunteer-led museum, created by the local community to celebrate the history of their recently ended mining industry. This photo has had many views already, probably because it clearly shows the accessibility of the venue and the type of artifact the museum holds. In this case not great art or jewels — bricks.”

Read more here.

@ErmesT introduced the Biennale Of Children's Art in Zero Branco, Italy

Caption: A photo showing several colorful art pieces created by children and displayed at the Biennale Of Children's Art. (Local Guide @ErmesT)Caption: A photo showing several colorful art pieces created by children and displayed at the Biennale Of Children's Art. (Local Guide @ErmesT)

He said: “The Biennale Of Children's Art is a very small children's museum. It was opened, or rather reopened, just two weeks ago. I was at the opening and I had the opportunity to speak with the director, a retired teacher who wanted to dedicate her experience to creating a unique thing: art created by children together with teachers.”

Read more here.

@JanVanHaver introduced the Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent, Belgium

Caption: A photo showing the top part of the 15th-century painting ‘The Ghent Altarpiece’ propped up on easels for restoration at the Museum of Fine Arts. (Local Guide @JanVanHaver)Caption: A photo showing the top part of the 15th-century painting ‘The Ghent Altarpiece’ propped up on easels for restoration at the Museum of Fine Arts. (Local Guide @JanVanHaver)

He said: “In the museum, they have been doing restoration and maintenance work on [‘The Ghent Altarpiece’] for several years already. This has been done in a step-by-step process where parts of the painting (which consists of several smaller wooden panels) are removed from the cathedral and transported to the museum. I decided to share this picture on Maps because it is something unique which you will not be able to see again once the work is done. It is a perfect illustration of the multiple functions that a museum often has: not only a place where works of art are shown but also where active efforts are made to preserve the heritage.”

Read more here.

@Jesi introduced Museo Histórico Nacional in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Caption: A photo showing a replica of a sword and a 3D version of a painting for visitors to touch at Museo Histórico Nacional. (Local Guide @Jesi)Caption: A photo showing a replica of a sword and a 3D version of a painting for visitors to touch at Museo Histórico Nacional. (Local Guide @Jesi)

She said: “At first glance, you might think that it's just a regular part of a museum and you might even be thinking that it shouldn't be touched, but it's quite the opposite! In fact, both pieces are tactile models of a historic and protected painting and sword, so people who are visually impaired can enjoy the exhibit as well. During my time there, everyone enjoyed this accessible feature! They had braille next to them as well, tactile maps, and many more features.” 

Read more here.

@LightRich introduced Museo Casa Presidencial Lázaro Cárdenas in Mexico City, Mexico

Caption: A photo showing a photograph of President Lázaro Cárdenas with his wife Amalia Solórzano and their son Cuauhtémoc on display at Museo Casa Presidencial Lázaro Cárdenas. (Local Guide @LightRich)Caption: A photo showing a photograph of President Lázaro Cárdenas with his wife Amalia Solórzano and their son Cuauhtémoc on display at Museo Casa Presidencial Lázaro Cárdenas. (Local Guide @LightRich)

He said: “The picture I’m sharing is located in a special room. [It] is a portrait of Lázaro Cardenas with his wife Amalia and their little son, Cuauhtémoc — who later will become a prominent political figure in my country. It impacted me because it shows them in the privacy of their family life; you can feel the proximity between them and the tranquility that the closeness generates.”

Read more here.

@MukulR introduced the Bangladesh National Museum in Dhaka, Bangladesh

Caption: A photo of a rocket paddle steamer boat model on display at the Bangladesh National Museum. (Local Guide @MukulR)Caption: A photo of a rocket paddle steamer boat model on display at the Bangladesh National Museum. (Local Guide @MukulR)

He said: “This boat is known as a Rocket Steamer as they had more speed compared to the traditional ferry years ago when they started their service in Bangladesh. At present, Bangladesh has three paddle steamers running a route. I think people should know that paddle steamers are still available somewhere on Earth. Most modern people may not have the experience of riding on or seeing a paddle steamer in their country.”

Read more here.

Please see the other ten winning photos in the comment below. Tell us: which one is your favorite?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

38 comments
Google Moderator

Re: The museum photo challenge winners are here!

@OlgaKlein introduced The Princes Czartoryski Museum in Krakow, Poland

Caption: A photo of The Princes Czartoryski Museum showing the inner yard with the museum cafe under a glass roof. (Local Guide @OlgaKlein)Caption: A photo of The Princes Czartoryski Museum showing the inner yard with the museum cafe under a glass roof. (Local Guide @OlgaKlein)

She said: “After renovation, the museum looks gorgeous. Bright and white, bringing much more experience to its visitors than just the collection. It is located on all three floors, accessible for wheelchairs, with a modern ventilation system. I call it ‘our Cracow Louvre.’” 

Read more here.

@Rohan10 introduced the Chhatrapati Shahu Palace in Kolhapur, India

Caption: A photo of the Chhatrapati Shahu Palace showing the exterior and path that leads to it. (Local Guide @Rohan10)Caption: A photo of the Chhatrapati Shahu Palace showing the exterior and path that leads to it. (Local Guide @Rohan10)

He said: “The image provides individuals with an idea of the scale of the building, helping them get a better sense of the building's size and grandeur. Above all, the photo captures a representation of the historical significance of the palace, giving visitors a better understanding of its history.”

Read more here.

@RussKH introduced the Windermere Jetty Museum in Windermere, UK

Caption: A photo of the Jetty Museum showing some of the boats on display in a brightly lit room. (Local Guide @RussKH)Caption: A photo of the Jetty Museum showing some of the boats on display in a brightly lit room. (Local Guide @RussKH)

He said: “The photo shows a good selection of the boats on display in a clear bright room. Boats have played a major part in local life for centuries, so Windermere Jetty Museum is a fascinating place to learn about the history of boating on Windermere, England's largest natural lake. The museum houses an internationally important collection of boats, including steam launches, motorboats, yachts, and record-breaking speed boats.”

Read more here.

@SaifIS introduced the Alexandria National Museum in Alexandria, Egypt

Caption: A photo of the Alexandria National Museum showing the facade from a low angle. (Local Guide @SaifIS)Caption: A photo of the Alexandria National Museum showing the facade from a low angle. (Local Guide @SaifIS)

He said: “I always like taking outside/exterior photos of a place. Because it helps us identify a place easily. Like when I am navigating to a place using Google Maps, I always look at a few photos of the place, especially the exterior photos. So that I can easily spot the place when I reach it.”

Read more here

@SanjayBDLG introduced the Panchagarh Rocks Museum in Panchagarh, Bangladesh

Caption: A photo showing rocks of different shapes and origins and two 300-year-old wooden boats on display at the Panchagarh Rocks Museum. (Local Guide @SanjayBDLG)Caption: A photo showing rocks of different shapes and origins and two 300-year-old wooden boats on display at the Panchagarh Rocks Museum. (Local Guide @SanjayBDLG)

He said: “Panchagarh is an excellent region for stone formation and production. [The place] can be called the 'Kingdom of Pebbles' for its endless pebbles. Although no Neolithic remains have been found in the area, cut and unhewn stones have been found, which are very important. I think this photo will help visitors to understand the importance of this exceptional museum.”

Read more here.

@TiffanyStockstill introduced the Ogden Museum of Southern Art in New Orleans, LA, USA

Caption: A photo showing curated art by children at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art and a text on the wall saying, “Artists and Sense of Place.” (Local Guide @TiffanyStockstill)Caption: A photo showing curated art by children at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art and a text on the wall saying, “Artists and Sense of Place.” (Local Guide @TiffanyStockstill)

She said: “I realized that it's difficult to choose just one picture that truly captures the essence of the museum. However, I did come across a captivating gallery room titled ‘Education Gallery, Artists and Sense of Place,’ specifically featuring Story Quilts: A Conservation Collaboration by Young Audiences of Louisiana Charter Schools. The image celebrates the vision of local grade school students with the collaboration of artists and showcases the world through the eyes of our future.”

Read more here.

@TravellerG introduced Madame Tussauds India in Noida, India

Caption: A photo of the wax figure of the Indian actor Shahrukh Khan at Madame Tussauds India. (Local Guide @TravellerG)Caption: A photo of the wax figure of the Indian actor Shahrukh Khan at Madame Tussauds India. (Local Guide @TravellerG)

He said: “This photo is beneficial for a prospective visitor as it provides a clear idea of this statue and a general idea about the quality of other statues in the museum.”

Read more here.

@PriscilaJimenez introduced The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, USA

Caption: A photo of Local Guide @tutojimenez imitating the sculpture Hercules the Archer by Antoine-Emile Bourdelle at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. (Local Guide @tutojimenez)Caption: A photo of Local Guide @tutojimenez imitating the sculpture Hercules the Archer by Antoine-Emile Bourdelle at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. (Local Guide @tutojimenez)

She said: “Once, I heard someone saying that taking photos in museums is boring, and I think that's not true at all. You can take cool photos posing with the sculptures or paintings, obviously always respecting the safety rules and not making obscene gestures. Your posing could be inspired by the feelings, emotions or thoughts that emerge within you when you see a painting or sculpture. The bronze sculpture in this photo is named Hercules the Archer. To me, it represents determination, precision, and bravery.”

Read more here.

@Yotaroh introduced the Kadokawa Musashino Museum in Tokorozawa, Japan

Caption: A photo of the Kadokawa Musashino Museum showing the rock-like facade. (Local Guide @Yotaro)Caption: A photo of the Kadokawa Musashino Museum showing the rock-like facade. (Local Guide @Yotaro)

They said: “I would like to introduce my favorite anime-related museum. The museum was designed by architect Kengo Kuma. It looks like a huge rock rising from the earth. I like the inorganic and mysterious shape of this museum. There were few photos of the entrance on Google Maps, so this time I took a photo of it.”

Read more here.

@YuliiaZa introduced the Museum of Transport Models in Vinnytsia, Ukraine

Caption: A photo showing a model of a windmill, people, and animals on display at the Museum of Transport Models. (Local Guide @YuliiaZa)Caption: A photo showing a model of a windmill, people, and animals on display at the Museum of Transport Models. (Local Guide @YuliiaZa)

She said: “[It’s] a small but packed museum opened by a local enthusiast. My friends and I were delighted to visit and converse with the founder, so I wrote a review. It turned out to be the first review after a year of silence due to the Russian invasion and consequent suspension of some Google Maps features in Ukraine for security reasons. The picture shows a part of the spacious landscape layout with all kinds of buildings, a railway, and running trains. It amazes me with all the teeny-weeny details.”

Read more here

Thank you all once again for joining this challenge! Keep an eye out for the next one in July.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Finally, winners are announced. Thank you so much @Ivi_Ge for this highlight. 

Congratulations to all the winners of the museum photo challenge ..💐💐💐...!

It's great to see such creative work showcased - I am sure the selections were difficult. I am looking forward to seeing the photos and learning more about the winning entries. 

I also thank you for the selection of my entry in the other 10 winners. I am honored to be included. This experience has given me the opportunity to present my photography skill and to create a lasting memory - something I truly cherish.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Hi @Ivi_Ge !

Oh... Thank you so much for selecting my photo! I'm so happy!!

I cannot select one photo that I like the most. All of them are so good! I can say that I enjoyed a lot reading the motives each winner had to select their photo. It was so inspiring!

Congratulations to all the winners! 👏

Ceci

If you want me to read your post or your comment, please tag me as @Cecilita so I can see it.

Buenos Aires, Argentina | Argentina Local Guides | My Google Maps
- New in Connect? Start Here!
- How to be more green? Click Here!
- Best Places to visit in Bs As: Click here!
- Social Media: Instagram | Twitter

Level 10

Yes, dear Googler friend @Ivi_Ge, it would not have been an easy task to decide the winners... 

Thank you for letting us know the name of winners & increasing the numbers from 10 to 20 - it is really inspiring - also thanks to the selection committee for keeping my name in the list. 

I thank all the participants for your valuable support for this beautiful challenge & excellent contributions. 

My special regards and thanks to our @KashifMisidia Ji who inspired me to participate in this challenge, without which I would have missed this award. 

Of course, all the winners need special mention & congratulations to each one of you. 

Also, eagerly waiting for the July challenge... 

Best wishes for all the community members. 

Sincerely, 

TG from Bangalore, India 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

OMG @Ivi_Ge 

This is exciting. Thank you so much to all the LGs who wanted to vote for this small museum in a small Italian Village. The congratulations should be addressed to them.

And of course CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners. 👏👏👏

The museum will be part soon of the Flat Stanley adventures series

Here below in a selfie with the director of the Museum

Level 8

I liked the photo of the Museum by @PriscilaJimenez. Her perspective on taking photos in the Museum is great. Taking photos can be an expression of how you are feeling. I think it's wonderful that we should be able to connect with that sculpture and find so much meaning in it. It makes me think that maybe taking photos in museums can be a form of art, that allows people to create something inspired by the art around them. So that's my favourite photo @Ivi_Ge.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Hello @Ivi_Ge 

Thank you for organising this challenge and also for selection of the winners.

I know it's no small task choosing what review or photo wins to get the badge. It was interesting seeing different photos of nice museums. The reviews were good too. We appreciate your efforts always. Please organise more of these !!! 

A big congratulations to all our dear fellow local guides who won. The badge is cute. Good luck to the rest of us for next time. We hope to see connect lively with such activities.

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Wow! Thank you dear @Ivi_Ge for announcing the winners and selecting my photo as one of them. I'm happy about this 😊 Congrats to all winners.

Another amazing thing is that these photos which were selected by Googlers, will help us to better understand the conditions of a good museum photo by nice examples.

I really learn from these winners to focus on what aspects, when I'm shooting museums. This helps better represent such cultural places to users.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 4

Congratulation to all the winners!!! The Challenge was difficult. The Badge is cool and is a great achievement!👍🏅