TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Tips - How I acquired Master Director Badge with planning & a few Supplementary Points - TravellerG

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Photo #1; Caption: The cover photo.

Dear friends,

Note: 

1. The following points are focussed on achieving the Badge only; remember to contribute videos, as per Google Maps’ policy, which is helpful to the public.
  2. The ‘Google Maps Badges’ Intro & the ‘Reviewer Badges’ requirements are discussed in this Post.

Here is how I achieved my Master Director Badge; I pursued the following points (many times, partially) to achieve it. 

First, I studied the targets for getting this Badge; then, I planned to achieve these scores and worked it out. The first goal was to complete the goal of 1,000 videos for ‘Volume’ and 100 Videos for ‘Reach’ (details of ‘Volume’, ‘Recach’ and 'Impact' are discussed in the next post).

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Important:

Most of us are more used to still photography and tend to forget to shoot videos while visiting any site/Location/PoI (Full form) - Let me share some suggestions I have been practising.

How to shoot videos (for 'Volume'), without forgetting?

• I decided to start any shooting session with a video only; and end the session with a video - take more videos in between, if needed. That is Video First & Last” as a policy! This has helped me a lot to shoot videos without missing videos of a POI. 
  • While planning a trip, I prepare “scenes for videography”; initially, this may look silly, but you will see good results when you practice it a couple of times. 
  • For me, to shoot a video, I need a brief “Story” (Screen Play - remember Google’s video policies), then a predefined camera movement (Director) and according to these two, I act as a “Cameraman” - this creates a meaningful video clip, most suitable for Google Maps (This too helps in reminding you to shoot a video). 
  • I have cultivated a habit of viewing my ‘Mobile Camera “Gallery”’ before leaving any PoI - I can see the ‘Thumbnails’ of videos & stills, I have captured - and then, I can decide whether I have collected videos/photos as per my requirements. (this too helps not to miss the required number/scenes of videos or stills). 
  • I conducted dedicated trips to shoot videos of destinations I have visited and new locations to get the 'Reach' of 100 places; over a period, this also helped me not to miss videos of any POI. 
  • Immediately after capture, ‘Reviewing’ the shots (video or photo) is also helpful to avoid duplicates and create useful shots.

Some supplementary points:

• I try framing the camera & shooting from "Left to Right”; also, try capturing objects moving from left to right (the reason) - (this may not be the case in all occasions!)
  • I try to shoot videos of 10 to 15 seconds (20 seconds max.); this enables the viewer to evaluate more videos in a given time, faster upload, etc.
  • The success rate of publishing the videos/photos, uploaded from from the same location (only possible if the data signal is strong) is very high.
  • Avoid heavy editing, which is against the Maps’ policy, though trimming (cutting) may not be an issue.
  • Keeping the ‘Grid Lines ON’ can help a lot in framing.
  • By our @MortenCopenhagen : "slow and steady camera movements are crucial, while shooting videos. (His full response)

Note:

Here is a 20-second video, captured using the guidelines given in this post; this video has more than 134,000 views and is mine, & as per the 'LeadeBoards' (of AdamGT), the highest in India.

My Camera Settings:

• Horizontal or Vertical - 1080p - (1920 x 1080 or 1080 X 1920 Pixels, 24 frames per sec) - (not 4K) - easy download for the viewers & faster upload; this also enables both ‘Optical & Electronic Image Stabilisation’ (even the 'Ultra Image Stabilisation' in some of the advanced mobiles), as well.

Google Maps Video Specs (brief): Read more

I hope some of the points will be useful to you.

Tagging my friends @ShubhamWaman @PrasadVR @Shubhu1 @RaviSharma111 @ShifaAymal @saidevadiga @Rushabh_Sindhav @Mukund_hirpara_ @Raj_Tayade for your feedback...please.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

83 comments
Level 10

Re: Tips - How I acquired Master Director Badge with planning & a few Supplementary Points - Tra

Great post @TravellerG.

This is a boon to all aspiring potential Master Directors. You have revealed the secret earning of Master Director Badge in very simple and short way.

This will surely help LGs moving in this direction.

Thanks!

Indian National FlagThree-time Connect Challenge Winner BadgeAccessibility Challenge BadgeConnect Challenge BadgeTRAC NOVICE Badge

My Map | My Insta | My Post Gallery

Coach I Mentor I Photographer I Traveler

Level 8

Re: Tips - How I acquired Master Director Badge with planning & a few Supplementary Points - Tra

Your post is very nice, thank you very much for this kind of discussion, we are thankful that you are with us and keep posting such nice posts. 

With this guidance we can move forward very quickly

@TravellerG 

Pranav Trivedi

Level 8

@TravellerG Thank you, Sir, for your informative post; it will be of great assistance to us. Thank you for sharing your plans and how to reach that master badge. .

This is my badge update.This is my badge update.

Thank you for the tips of video shooting from left to right and about grid lines for framing .

Praniket More || " Having a hobby is sweet for your psychological state – Chanakya " ||

My Insta||My Post Gallery|| Hex sticker design competition winner

Level 10

Thank you @TravellerG ji, for sharing very helpful tips with example clips for acquiring Master director badge.

Signature Image
Connect Moderator

Thank you for the video tips @TravellerG 

I especially like the "Video First & Last” as a policy.

I always prefer vertical videos since a majority of Maps users use a mobile device.

Vertical videos look best on a mobile phone.

Level 8

Nice little bunch of tips! Thanks for sharing =D

Google Map's Lists of my fave places in: Paris | London | Dublin | Marseille | Nice

Sharing my reviews and photo's on Google Maps, eventually inspired me to chase my love for food, combined with my training as a Chef to become a Tour Guide in my home city of Paris. Explore Paris with Me!

Connect with me outside of connect: Instagram | TikTok

Bon appétit!
Level 8

Thank you @TravellerG sirji  for presenting very useful information for a new guide like us

Raj_Tayade ||" Relationships are formed when you travel with your heart "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Level 10

Thank you, @TravellerG, for the pointers. I like the start and end with a video tip. I'm one that often forgets the video altogether. This is my final badge to achieve, and I'm slowly chipping away at it.  

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Thank you so much for your quick response and great support, my very dear @Kumaarsantosh ...

"...This is a boon to all aspiring potential Master Directors..."

Dear friend, to me from Expert Director onwards this post will be very useful...

Many LGs are not very well aware of the targets/requirements! Also, some 'words' like 'Answers' are confusing...I'm trying to clarify these through this series - hope you will enjoy and support...

Regards with gratitude for kind response 

Most sincerely 

🙏🌹🤝

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me