WilfriedB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Why are historical land marks deleted?

After visiting the ruins of the castle on Isola Polvese in Lago Trasimeno (very close, but not identical to this pin) in 2018, I added a review and photos to the existing pin for the castle. Five years later in 2023, I received a mail "your review wasn't posted".

After that, I did create the place as historical landmark, added review and pictures. Approved!

However, a month later, Google removed the place again. The mail linked to my review, which is hidden to the public now.

After that, I didn't touch it anymore. Review and photos still appear in My Contributions under the place "unbekannter Ort" (unknown place), but are not public anymore.

The ruins are not visible in Google Maps, but in the satellite view and I also posted a photo of the panel describing the history of this place.

WilfriedB_3-1708778660827.png

@ErmesT  can you help here?

WilfriedB_0-1708778356919.png

WilfriedB_1-1708778371602.png

Willfried
My Contributions
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Google Moderator
Solution

Re: Why are historical land marks deleted?

Hi again @WilfriedB and @ErmesT,

I'm happy to share that Castello Isola Polvese is back on Maps! However, it might take a few weeks for the previously added contributions to appear as well.

I'll mark my comment as the solution to show that this issue has been resolved.

Thank you again for reporting!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

@WilfriedB , I can try by tagging here @DeniGu because she helped us by escalating some issues to the team, and recently they were able to restore other two historical landmarks on Italy.

On our case the key was to have a link of the original POI, but I hope that the link to your review can be enough for them to locate the original POI.

Unfortunately it is quite easy to remove from Maps a not claimed place. So easy that years ago, after a similar experience, I wrote an idea about a Pop-Up for "fact checking" if you contributed to a place with photos / review 

Level 9

Thanks @ErmesT  and  @DeniGu  the permalink to the pin which I added in December was https://maps.app.goo.gl/GokkWgXa7oxdTeJV8 (pluscode was 447Q+GC Castiglione del Lago, Perugia, Italien)

The older one, I do not have anymore.

Willfried
My Contributions
Google Moderator

Hi @WilfriedB,

Thank you for reporting this. I will forward the information you shared to our responsible team to investigate. 

Thank you for the tag, @ErmesT

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator
Solution

Hi again @WilfriedB and @ErmesT,

I'm happy to share that Castello Isola Polvese is back on Maps! However, it might take a few weeks for the previously added contributions to appear as well.

I'll mark my comment as the solution to show that this issue has been resolved.

Thank you again for reporting!

Level 9

Thanks a lot @DeniGu and @ErmesT!
I am glad to see, it seems to be the original pin with 509 photos, as it was in December 2023.

Scrolling back in My Contributions, I not only noticed more photos with views compared to yesterday (different topic*), but also these photos under "Castello Isola Polvese" instead of "unknown place".

WilfriedB_0-1709111675441.png

* regarding the issue with "disappearing views", I noticed for the photos I posted to Castello Isola Polvese as of now, they all show a number of views slightly below as they were before February, 6.

@MortenCopenhagen  just FYI 😊

Willfried
My Contributions
Connect Moderator

@WilfriedB 

The successful reinstallment of the pin has exactly the effect that your photos are no longer linked to unknown place. This is to be expected.

I'm checking several times daily but I have not noticed improvements yet.

Thanks

Morten 

Level 9

@MortenCopenhagen  reg "I'm checking several times daily but I have not noticed improvements yet."

I just took advantage of having to scroll back to find the photos mentioned above and scrolled further into the past. While most view numbers are slightly below the last known value, es mentioned above, a small percentage shows higher numbers - some even doubled. Also several new pictures went form zero to xx between yesterday and now.

Willfried
My Contributions
Connect Moderator

Sounds great, @WilfriedB 

But I would like to see a few more confirm this before making an update in reply #1

Cheers

Morten