JustJake's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Zoolights at the Phoenix Zoo

PXL_20240104_040448413.MP~3.jpg

There is a traditional event in Phoenix, Arizona, USA each year called Zoolights. Each year since 1992, the Phoenix Zoo is decorated with about 4,000,000 lights to welcome nighttime visitors in December and January. 

zoo 1.jpg

Glowing orbs and 'Zoolights' written in LED string lights greet Zoo visitors at the entrance lake

Workers spend about 4 months preparing the Zoo for the event. Elaborate light shows are put on, sculptures of lights are built in the shape of animals, and you may even catch a look at some of the nocturnal animals roaming around (couldn't get a picture, too dark 😑).

zoo 2.jpg
Thousands of lights adorn trees surrounding a small food court where visitors can get coffee, cocoa, and beer

zoo 3.jpg

A peacock made of lights stands guard in front of an animal enclosure

This was the first year that I saw the animal "lanterns" in the park; hand-painted fabric and metal sculptures of many different animals, all lit from the inside.

zoo 4.jpg

Two large parrots sit atop signposts; one is about to take flight!

zoo 5.jpg

A flock of flamingos and their croc buddy hang out to greet guests

The kids were most excited - me, too - about the 200ft tunnel of lights that changed colors and danced brightly as people moved through it.

zoo 6.jpg

Lights change color and chase back and forth through the entire tunnel

The big feature was a musical light show over the Zoo's lake. It features a massive floating tree with synchronized LED lights and floating structures that could use the lights to replicate everything from fireworks to nutcrackers.

Should you find yourself in Phoenix during December and early January, a trip to Zoolights is a great way to spend an evening like a local. I'll leave a few more images from my trip. Thanks for reading!

zoo 7.jpg

zoo 8.jpg

zoo 9.jpg

zoo 10.jpg

JustJake TRAC Badge
Phoenix, AZ, USA
39 comments
Level 9

Betreff: Zoolights at the Phoenix Zoo

@JustJake

Die Bilder sind leider nicht zu sehen 

Level 10

Thank you for the quick notification @Annaelisa. I can see it on my side, but the images are gone when I open it in another browser. Drat! I'm trying to figure out the HTML Image posting stuff & it seems I've got some work to do. Hopefully, I'll have it sorted out soon.

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Re: Zoolights at the Phoenix Zoo

Well, I had to do it old-fashioned and resize/post each photo, but at least they're visible. Thank you, @Annaelisa,for the notice!

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

The artificial zoo looks super-awesome @JustJake.

One of the best ways to let the wild animals live in the wild and enjoy their life.

Sad that I will miss this when I hope to be in Phoenix in April this year.

Level 10

That looks awesome @JustJake,

Thank you for sharing that! 

"It's the not the Destination, It's the Journey." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Level 9

@JustJake 

Was ist das alles schön. Eine Katastrophe wenn diese Bilder nicht sichtbar wären.

@Rednewt74   das solltest du dir anschauen 

Level 10

Thanks @Lukas_. It started as me wanting to test out the night time settings on the Pixel 8 Pro, but I wound up with enough shots for a post. I wish it was easier to share videos because some of the new video HDR tricks are rad. 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar. I 100% agree with you. I understand there are scientific and preservation benefits to zoos, but I tend to feel more bummed out for the animals. I would imagine every animal there is envious of Walter and his free-range Oatman gang.

Well, @AZ_2021 & @AnithaM have expressed interest in an Arizona Meetup if you have free time on your trip. 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 9

@Annaelisa, thank you for the tag.

@JustJake, outstanding post!

One of the most interesting light displays I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing.... and giving me one more reason to want the 8.😉

Alfred New
TRAC Badge