DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet Accessibility Champion, Sweta Dhondoo

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Sweta Dhondoo proudly holding the Mauritian flag and an illustration with the words “Sweta Dhondoo” inside a blue frame with accessibility symbols.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Sweta Dhondoo proudly holding the Mauritian flag and an illustration with the words “Sweta Dhondoo” inside a blue frame with accessibility symbols.

Local Guide Sweta Dhondoo (@SwetaDhondoo) lives in Mauritius and is passionate about mapping wheelchair accessibility. She believes it’s one significant way to make a difference for her community and allow more people to feel included. But Sweta understands that the real impact comes when people work together and that there’s still a need to raise awareness about accessibility among businesses, institutions, and societies.

We recently caught up with Sweta to learn more about her accessibility efforts, and here’s what she shared.

Why are you interested in accessibility?

I feel there is a real lack of information and awareness about accessibility in many countries and here in Mauritius. Sharing such information on Google Maps can help individuals with disabilities navigate the world more freely and independently. This aligns with my core belief that technology should be inclusive and empower everyone, regardless of their physical abilities.

What or who inspired you to start sharing accessibility information on Google Maps?

@KashifMisidia is the one who introduced me to this concept and its importance to our society. He taught me a lot about the Local Guides program, and I would like to thank him for being a great mentor to so many of us.

In the beginning, I was only typing some additional lines to my reviews but with time, I realized the significance of accessibility information. The real inspiration came from witnessing the challenges faced by people with mobility issues. Their determination to explore the city independently, despite the obstacles, showed me the importance of accessible routes and facilities. Now, I find myself automatically looking for the ramps, the parking area, and the toilets for people with disabilities. I can no longer not think of accessibility whenever I visit a place!

Caption: A screenshot of Sweta’s review and media contributions to the Bagatelle Mall of Mauritius. Her review includes a list with emojis that highlight the wheelchair-accessible facilities of the place. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Sweta Dhondoo)Caption: A screenshot of Sweta’s review and media contributions to the Bagatelle Mall of Mauritius. Her review includes a list with emojis that highlight the wheelchair-accessible facilities of the place. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Sweta Dhondoo)

What kind of accessibility information do you share on Google Maps and why?

I like sharing wheelchair accessibility information the most because it directly enhances the quality of life for not only people using wheelchairs but their families and friends as well. It's more than just providing data; it's about breaking down barriers and ensuring that everyone has equal access to public spaces and services. Contributing this information mirrors my values of compassion and community service. Knowing that it could make someone's day a little easier is highly gratifying. I feel connected to a larger movement and I'm proud to be a part of such a positive change.

On top of that, we need to create awareness. It's great to see that new infrastructures are more adapted, however, existing structures should also follow. Our reviews with constructive suggestions could encourage business owners to take a step forward and follow the trend.

Do you have a favorite contribution that highlights accessibility? 

My favorite review is of the Bagatelle Mall of Mauritius as I feel it is the most complete one with a maximum of information. I enhance my reviews with videos and photos. I use emojis to create a visually appealing reading experience. A significant number of my reviews have achieved the honor of being shown first on business listings, inspiring me to continue sharing honest feedback.

It is also incredibly rewarding to see that my reviews are helpful to my community and that owners are responding positively. Thanks to the “Helpful” button on Google Maps, I can see how many people liked my review. Here’s an example from Decathlon Bagatelle:

Caption: A screenshot of Sweta’s review and media contributions to Decathlon Bagatelle, showing four Helpful votes and a positive response from the owner. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Sweta Dhondoo)Caption: A screenshot of Sweta’s review and media contributions to Decathlon Bagatelle, showing four Helpful votes and a positive response from the owner. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Sweta Dhondoo)

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

It starts with exploring what you love about your community. Engage with what resonates with you personally; focus on what excites you locally, whether it's cuisine, history, or outdoor spaces, and share that enthusiasm on Google Maps. The joy of discovery and the satisfaction of helping others can ignite your interest.

Nowadays, we are all equipped with technology, devices, education, and platforms, which makes it easier to share globally. By sharing online, we contribute towards a better economy, society, and so much more. It is a gift to future generations to start implementing such sharing and to initiate a good habit for them to follow.

Thank you for all you do, Sweta! Local Guides, do you include accessibility information in your contributions on Google Maps? Let us know below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

36 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Sweta Dhondoo

Wow wow wow what a pleasant morning surprise for me 😍

Many Congratulations @SwetaDhondoo ,

want to express my happiness today.

Many people from the accessibility champions have mentioned my friend @JaneBurunina  and me in their posts after our Virtual Accessibility Meetup series some years ago, which makes me so proud.

I'm so happy for you, Sweta. I hope you continue to achieve more success in the future.

Aameen

Thank you @DeniGu for such a beautiful post 🙏

Tagging my friends and Accessibility champions 

@Tushar_Suradkar @NareshDarji @Tejal @RosyKohli @SholaIB @indahnuria @Globe_trotter_Ish @TravellerG 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 7

🤩 😍🥰 Many thanks to @DeniGu for the insightful article and for providing a platform to highlight the beauty of Mauritius 🇲🇺

A heartfelt shoutout to the legendary @KashifMisidia for his dedication and active participation 🫡

Cheers

Sweta

Connect Moderator

Wooohoo @DeniGu 

Thank you for another good news.

Congratulations @SwetaDhondoo we wish you more wins.

@KashifMisidia you have always been a great mentor. Keep up the good work man. I'll be the next student under your mentorship Lol.

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

You are my Jigiri @SholaIB , you are more than welcome to become my student 😁🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Thank you @DeniGu for introducing our new accessibility champion 🏆

Many many Congratulations @SwetaDhondoo 👏

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

@SwetaDhondoo  🥳🥳 Congratulation for this achievement your work really  inspire  many local guides to reviews in your way that will help and others to find there way to  places , @KashifMisidia  bhai told me about your reviewing place and suggest me to follow that from till i am doing reviews in your ways  .its really helpful for others .

reviewreview    

Again i congratulate you for your achievement keep sharing  good idea and thoughts  on connect .

jai siya ram🙏🙏

Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते
Connect Moderator

@KashifMisidia you are always been a Fantastic mentor. Keep up the excellent work in empowering and supporting our community 🙂

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

Congratulations on the recognition as Accessibility Champion @SwetaDhondoo 💐

Your contribution towards accessibility is impressive 👍

Also, thanks to the guidance and support of @KashifMisidia Bhai, you truly are a kingmaker!

Level 9

Congratulations @SwetaDhondoo !! My best wishes for further achievements.

Thanks for sharing @DeniGu .

Cheers!